Found something weird in Cisco's bottom.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:10 pm

My big chonk didn't eat his greens this morning, which is highly irregular for him. I looked him over to see if there was anything obvious going on and I noticed what looked like the end of a little piece of hay sticking out of his penis. I pulled it out, and it was about an inch long, NOT hay, but looked like a milky white string of something - almost like the stalk of a bean sprout. I only touched the very tip of it where I gripped it to pull it out, but the body of it looked wet.

It didn't seem to bother him at all when I pulled it out. I have no idea what this is or if it's the reason he didn't eat this morning.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

I threw it out before I thought to take a picture of it.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:35 pm

Actually - I think it may have been a sperm rod. I saw a picture of one in another post and it looked very similar. Minutes after I pulled it out, he started eating his greens.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:28 pm

Yes, I was going to suggest that it was a sperm rod. The most likely thing.

Expect more.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:42 pm

Do they tend to feel crappy when they get them? He was off his food once before and it only lasted a day or two - I'm wondering if he had one then and pulled it out himself.

After I removed yesterday's, he perked right back up and turned back into the power Hoover he normally is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:57 pm

I am guessing there might be some blockage of urine. It can't be comfortable.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:22 pm

UPDATE:

I think Cisco has a malocclusion now. He didn’t eat this morning (SO not like him) and he’s slobbering all over the place.

I know I need to take him in to be seen. If his teeth need to be trimmed, is it a major procedure? I just got Wynn healthy again after a prolonged illness and I’m hoping this will be something more straightforward.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:16 pm

If it's just a matter of trimming them down because they've overgrown, it's not a major thing. If it's something more serious like a malocclusion that requires surgery or removal of teeth, then it can be major. I'd look at what caused his dental issues and eliminate that too or you'll just be putting him through the procedure again needlessly.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:39 pm

Teeth issues can be complicated. It depends on the cause. I hope you have an experienced vet to figure out precisely what is wrong. Do read the pages about teeth if you haven't done so recently.
https://www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html

M1dn1ght

Post   » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:53 am

UPDATE:

I took Cisco in to the vet's this morning. I was going to call them anyway, but when I woke up, his face was swollen up like a balloon and I slammed into emergency mode. All I could get was a drop-off (it's one of the few practices in town that really know what they are doing with exotics so they are always super busy), so I am waiting to hear back from them, but he is in excellent hands.

I am seriously rethinking my identity as a cavy mom. I JUST got Wynn feeling better after a prolonged illness. The guilt is real whether it's justified or not. I can't help feeling like these two would have been better off with someone else.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:03 pm

Vet just called. He's in bad shape. His body temp is way down and they are going to x-ray, but vet says the prognosis is not good. He wouldn't even take a syringe feeding.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:21 pm

It's bloat.

Vet says she was able to get a tube down into his stomach and released a whole bunch of gas. She's trying to determine if his stomach has flipped because the x-rays weren't clear.

I put one of these into his enclosure two days ago and I found some nibble marks on it:

https://www.chewy.com/naturals-by-rosew ... /dp/274784

This is the only thing I've changed about his diet. These are made in the UK and are supposed to be safe!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:59 pm

I can't imagine that the tunnel would have caused it. Sometimes bloat can be triggered by pain and/or dental issues, if the guinea pig isn't eating well (especially hay). I will keep my fingers crossed for a good outcome.