Accidentally Got Liqiud Antibiotic in Morty's Eye

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:27 am

I doubt it.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:54 pm

Hey guys I just need a little advice with Morty again. This morning, he started barely eating any of the veggies I've given him, which he almost never does( he's still eating his pellets and hay). On top of that, his poops are really soft and they smell. I've made an appointment for tomorrow with his regular vet, which is the soonest they could take us, and we've been giving him as much critical care and water that he can stomach. We've also been giving him Benebac in the powder form in hopes that might harden his poops just a little. He's never had this happen before, although he's had soft poops in the past, they just never smelled bad that I've noticed, and we're also wondering if this is the result of the medications he's under for his heart.

Any advice or suggestions to help him until we can get him in would be very appreciated.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:43 pm

Soft, smelly poops are cecal poops if they're greenish. If not green, they're definitely an indication of some GI problem. The lack of fecal poops is also.

Has there been any recent change in any of the meds he's taking?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:30 pm

Ditto bpatters. You may wish to reread:
https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

amberkenn2016

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:06 am

bpatters- There hasn't been any change in meds, and I don't believe they're cecal poops. I've seen a ton of them in my time owning pigs and they don't look like them I don't think. I'm hoping that his poops will harden by the morning, but I'll give updates when I can.

And thank you Lynx for the link!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:15 am

If they're not cecal but they're smelly, he's got something going on in the GI tract. I'd see a vet for some flagyl or other antibiotic.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:20 pm

Completely hypothetical here, but would having another med added on to help him with gut issues be too much for him? I know the alternative, to just let him suffer, wouldn't be an option, but he's already on quite a few meds (pimobendan, furosemide, and enalapril). I'm willing to help him out however way I can because he's my little Mort, but I don't know what to expect when adding another med like an AB.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:41 pm

Update: We just got back from the vet, and they found that he had quite a bit of air in his stomach. The vet is thinking that the reason there's so much is because Morty's heart and lungs are deteriorating to the point that the air goes past the lungs. She doesn't think increasing meds would help, and she also said there was a possibility of an URI happening as well. So we were sent home with doxycycline and she suggested euthanasia is in the near future for him.

I'm heartbroken. He's home with us as we speak and I'm going to try to give the AB's to see if he improves, but I don't know what else I can do. We are also continuing the probiotic and critical care. He squeaks every time he goes to the bathroom and I can't stand to see him in pain. I just wish I could take all of this away from him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:06 pm

I am so sorry to hear this news. I know how much you care about him.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:40 am

I'm sorry to hear that Morty is going through all this. You take such good care of him, I hope the ABs help him feel better.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:13 am

I am sorry to...
But in dog world people used to say maybe some vets arent good enough.. cause some always go maybe i am notgood enough..well maybe sometimes doctors arent good enough for you. i am not saying we are not grateful to ones that helped us cause we found some really really brilliant vets, but sometimes its worth second oppinion..just thinking:)

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:08 pm

I've got good news! Morty gained back an ounce and a half and he's interested in carrots again! I really don't want to jump the gun and say he's back, but I definitely feel like some divine being out there somewhere is looking out for him, lol. We're going to keep on trucking until we know he's ready to go. And thank you to everyone so far for your kind words, it makes difference for us, truly. I'll keep giving updates when something changes. Again, I appreciate y'all so much.