Violet's medical thread

Zaphy

Post   » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:43 pm

Been going back and forth on whether to post about Violet. She's been looking... sad the last several days. I keep finding her hunched and poofed in the cage, and looking much like a dying pig. But then when I take her out of the cage to look at her more closely, she perks up again. She doesn't look like that every time I see her, but it's been more than just once or twice recently. I had her in to the vet a week or two ago to take a look at her and given her age (a couple months shy of 6 years), we decided to try her on some pain meds to see if she would perk up a bit. And I think, or maybe thought, that they helped. But she's had her dose today and I found her looking pained again (same deal, perked up upon being picked up, did tricks for lettuce, jumped up onto my shoulder without assistance). I'm certain that she has SOMETHING going on- I chose not to spay her a few years back after that failed attempt when we found cysts, so I kind of assume she's got ovarian cysts and/or cancer. She'd been acting very hormonal for several weeks prior to this bout of discomfort as well. She no longer is, for whatever that's worth. She's had a slight weight loss over the last few months, but not more than I'd expect for an elderly pig anyway.

Also, we did just lose her (probably) littermate, Adelaide. Adelaide was the alpha of the herd as well, so it's a significant loss. So it's also possible that she's depressed at Adelaide's loss and/or that since they were tied together in my mind, that I'm just projecting greater pain onto her than she's actually experiencing.

Anyway. I'm just kind of at a loss as to what to do for her now. I'm not sure if there's more I *can* do? Maybe syringe feed her for a bit? No clue if that would do anything at all. And I'm not sure where to draw the line of if she's enjoying life anymore. It doesn't help that I have a newly mobile human baby so I'm not able to observe the pigs as often as I used to and therefore don't have a great picture of her overall status either. Just... Confused and worried about her. I guess I just don't really have a great idea of what a pig's twilight years *should* look like. I know not to expect that she'll be able to jump around like a little piglet anymore, I guess it just comes down to how much pain is too much pain?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:37 pm

I am sorry to hear she may be having problems and very much sympathize with trying to sort things out while dealing with a "newly mobile human baby".

Looking hunched and poofed does sound like she is experiencing some pain. It is hard to sort out illness vs. possible grieving. I think of you as an observant caretaker who knows their pet well. I don't know that I can give an useful advice but hope you can sort out her issues.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:31 pm

Is Violet alone now without Adelaide? That's a big change when they're older and they lose a littermate. It's hard to tell if it's a pain situation since she moves around more when you're there. I would try rearranging the cage so things are in different places. That might provide some mental stimulation so she has to investigate. And maybe scatter some pellets and favorite veggies so she forages in search of food. Then you can see how she moves and whether she's eating okay. Something comforting, like a fleece tunnel that's warm to snuggle in might help. I have a single pig and she has a little stuffed bunny that she snuggles by quite often. I hope you can figure out what's going on. You have your hands full with a mobile human baby and aging piggie!

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:20 pm

Thanks for the responses. I did try rearranging things and it might have helped some- not sure. The local pig rescue also happened to post up a photo of a pink eyed white they had up for adoption- Adelaide was a pink eyed white, and I couldn't pass her up. So the last few days I've been trying to introduce that one and her friend to my herd, and Violet is NOT having it. However, despite how much she appears to hate the new more dominant pig, she also seems to be doing much better. Looks more comfortable, more active. I wonder if she actually is doing better or if she just doesn't want to admit to her pain in front of her new enemy... Unfortunately the two new pigs are going to be going back to the rescue, I've tried a few times and introductions just aren't working out with the new problem pig. But I do think I'll continue to try to find a new member for the herd- hopefully we can find someone who piques Violet's interest but doesn't bite everyone's butts xD there are a couple other pigs at the rescue that might work out, so we'll see. I'll be observing Violet closely after the two new ladies go back today to see if she wilts again (she is not alone, but the herd is significantly smaller than it was at the beginning of the year).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:47 pm

Good luck finding just the right companion for your group!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:58 pm

That sounds like a good idea. It's not easy finding a buddy. You don't want Violet to be lonely, but you also don't need her irritated at the new piggies. Maybe once the newbies are gone, Violet will feel like coming out and moving around more. I hope so!

Zaphy

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:28 am

Things are definitely less tense now that the new pigs are gone. The rescue just had a baby female from an oops litter born yesterday, so once she’s old enough we’re going to try her in with my herd. Since babies are usually pretty easy to integrate I’m hopeful that Violet will be very on board with her- though I don’t want to jinx anything! I’m looking forward to it though, babies are so much fun :)

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 pm

That’s pretty exciting and definitely something to look forward to!

Zaphy

Post   » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:34 am

Baby's integrated well with the herd :) Violet has good days and bad days, so I also have her on a low dose of metacam as needed and she seems to be doing pretty well on that. She's definitely slowing down more and more and has started looking a bit arthritic in her hind legs- stumbles a bit here and there and sometimes doesn't quite clear the ledge when stepping in and out of the litterbox, that kind of thing. But she is still mobile, will still spin for treats, and when she's done with lap time still jumps up onto my shoulders (not as nimbly as she once did of course, but still).

Violet literally just had a checkup with the vet yesterday, but today I noticed one of her eyes has a spot on it. I don't have too much experience with eye issues so I'm not sure what it is and unfortunately can't get a photo of it. It's a small cloudy spot on the surface of the eyeball- she's kind of always had it but today I noticed it a bit cloudier/larger than normal. It reminds me of an ulcer a previous pig with facial paralysis had due to not being able to blink (Violet can blink though). It doesn't seem painful to her, and the rest of her eye looks normal and not irritated. Is this something to take her back to the vet about right now, or something to just keep an eye on (ha) and only take her in if stuff starts looking irritated? The eye page wasn't super clear to me on this, sorry D:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:11 pm

Did you notice the link to more eye info in the Records forum? More pics and conditions there.
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=77

If it is on the surface, most likely an injury.

Zaphy

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:37 pm

I did not notice that, thank you for the link!

Eye didn't look any worse yesterday but also not any better, so I made an appointment with the vet just to be on the safe side. They were able to get her in right away which was great, and the vet said the spot did "take in some dye"- that means it's ulcerated, right? I'm going off of my memory of a previous pig. He also noted that there was a second small spot on her other eye though- the fact that it's in both eyes worries me because i had assumed it was just an injury. Regardless, we're trying terramycin 3x/day for a week and will recheck then.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:32 pm

I'm with you on being somewhat more concerned that something is going on with both eyes. Has your brand of hay changed? Is it stiffer or more straw-like? (pokier). The terramycin should definitely help. Let us know if they improve.