Announcing a new member of our guinea pig family!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:00 pm

We introduced Vicky to the older girls, Emma (she's a real chunk) and Gracie. Floor time with Grace first. As expected, no problems. Vicky was very excited about having another pig around. It looked like she kept trying to get under Grace, but figured out she was to big (well that's a little beyond her mental capacity). It was like baby pigs get under their mother. Vicky is about 3-6 mos.

So we threw Emma into the mix. A little more tension, as expected, not really fighting. Just the usual stuff: Emma chasing Vicky, rumble-strutting, Vicky being a bit too friendly & Emma saying, that's enough. But no real aggression. Vicky doesn't seem to mind.

Now they're in the cage together & doing ok - Emma chasing Vicky, Vicky excited about her new friends.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:04 pm

Sounds promising!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:06 pm

YAY!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:44 pm

Am so happy all went well. Hoping it continues especially when Vicky gets her hormones! So glad for all of you!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:11 am

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. When do we get pictures?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:21 am

I'm not too good at pictures - taking them or getting them here.

"when Vicky gets her hormones" forgot about that! Vicky's been following Grace around the cage, popcorning as she goes. I think she's very happy to be with other pigs.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:38 am

That’s pretty exciting and how nice for Vicky to have new friends.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:43 am

Daughter has been looking for a new pig since we lost Gracie. They come & go so fast at adoptions centers that we haven't been able to snag one. Yesterday it was "bingo". This 1-year-old is a chunk, almost 3 lb. She's an agouti with a fuzzy, coarse coat.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:01 am

So sorry for your lost of Gracie.RIP Run free wee one. Reunited with friends. You were loved and will be sorely missed. Eat the green grass and popcorn among the clouds. Sending hugs to you and your daughter!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:44 am

Thanks daisymay. Losing Gracie was really tough. She was just endearing & loved her humans, more than her pigs I think. She'd beg to be picked up. She knew how to communicate with us. She had a lot of health problems and that always intensifies the bond, although one daughter was carrying the heavy load. She suffered the most when Gracie died. Gracie was possibly the sweetest pig we've ever had.

New girl's name is Amelia. HSMO said she & two others were surrendered when the person who was running a small rescue couldn't deal with it anymore. The other two were already adopted, within about a day of arrival. They are all chunkers, but Amelia is the biggest.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:58 pm

Gracie was one of a kind. I am sorry she did not have more time with you and your daughters.

Amanda sounds like fun! 1 year old is just right.

I like to think of it as your new guinea pig won the "bingo" game! (lucky guinea pig!)

May you have many healthy, happy years together!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:12 am

It sounds like Gracie was a very special guinea pig. We get so close to our pets, especially the ones with health issues. I'm so happy you found Amelia, she's very lucky to get a piggy-savvy family like yours!