The Legend of Barry Jenkins

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:29 pm

BJ took a little longer to come out and graze this evening. Probably because I woke him up from his nap to bring him outside. Once he came out and started chowing, there was no stopping him.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:08 pm

He is a big boy! Our pigs do take a little time to wake up from their naps.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:49 pm

Poor BJ. I had to take away his fleece forest because it was getting pretty gross. I'll have to make him a new one, but in the meantime he's got a tunnel to hide in. He doesn't mind it, but I think he prefers the fleece forest.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:31 am

My pigs had fleece forests. I just threw them in the washing machine.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:45 am

Yes, fleece is so washable!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:00 am

The fleece wasn't the problem. It was the wood legs. They just got too much urine soaked into them. I couldn't clean it anymore. Time to make him a new one. I think I might make the legs out of PVC pipe or metal conduit.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:24 am

You can also attach the fleece to the frame without it being permanent. It can be tied on, or clipped. Then it just easily comes off to go in the washer when needed.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:44 am

Thought I should post an update on the big guy. He's doing good still. He's the weirdest guinea pig I've ever seen. I'm still having trouble getting him to eat leafy greens consistently and have been getting creative. I found that he likes parsley, but only the leafy part. He won't have anything to do with the stems. So that complicates my guinea pig veggie prep. I have to trim the stems for him. Don't worry though; they don't go to waste because the rest of the boys love them and I divide them up equally between them.

I had him eating parsley leaves for a few days in a row until he stopped eating it. I then switched it up from the regular parsley to the italian parsley and he ate it just fine. I was switching him back and forth between the two and it worked out for quite a while until he figured out the routine and stopped eating it again. I threw green leaf lettuce into the rotation and I got him to eat his leafys again. It's the same thing with the secondary veggies I feed him. I can't give him the same thing more than two times in a row. It's weird, but it makes having him more fun and adventurous.

When it comes to hay and pellets, none of the piggies come close to what BJ eats and that's why I don't worry when he doesn't always eat his veggies. Plus he empties his water bottle with the vitamin drops every day. He can be moody sometimes too. It's not a problem. He's healthy. It's just his personality. He never misses the chance to come up to greet me and nibble the cage for attention. Sometimes he's just saying hello but doesn't want to be petted or picked up and other times he's all about the chin rub and getting loved on. That's when I get to hold him. He has his way of letting me know which mood he's in.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:22 pm

I always laugh (out loud) when you call him "the big guy". He's an interesting pig.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:18 pm

He really is an interesting pig. I call him the big guy because he's the biggest guinea pig I've ever seen LOL. When he's next to the others, even Mr Bubbles or Sammy, who aren't all that tiny themselves he makes them look small. You can really notice the difference when you hold him after holding any of the other guys. The pictures of them together don't really do the size and weight difference any justice.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:56 pm

The big guy is still humming along quite well. He's been eating lettuce regularly now. I thought I'd never get him to eat it, but he does now. He finishes the whole leaf. He's pretty outgoing these days. He doesn't run at all when I go to pick him up. He's stopped the nipping at my hands and arms when I hold him too. I guess it took him a while to realize that the poking of the syringe into his mouth is over. He even purrs when I pet him. His nail trim is next Friday. I hope it doesn't make him apprehensive again.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:01 am

So glad BJ has mellowed out and enjoying life! Do you cut the claws or the vet? We are always haunted with Jupiter. We were cutting her claws, struggling as all pigs do.

Next thing we know is her mouth was doing the gold fish motion. She had fainted and her heart had stopped. Every time I cut a claw she pops into my mind. She was 2 years old. I was talking to her and trying to comfort her but she just freaked out! Good luck BJ!