Anybody order hay and/or pellets from Chewy?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:29 pm

I've been getting my guinea pigs from rescue since I joined this forum. Still, I feel terrible for the poor animals in the pet store. They're every bit as adorable as the rescue animals and just as deserving of a good home and a happy, healthy life. I've been giving a lot of thought to moving to the rural area of Missouri and getting together a breeding farm and rescue for guinea pigs.

If I did that, I would make sure there was an exotic vet who has experience with guinea pigs available and under contract to supervise the breeding. I would limit the sows to no more than 2 litters and space them out enough to make sure the sows make a full recovery between litters. I would also make sure they are healthy enough to have a litter in the first place.

There would be nothing short of the best possible conditions. Everything would be clean and sanitary. No selling to pet stores. It will be a breed to order for private sale directly to people who want guinea pigs. No delivery of babies on pallets in tiny boxes stacked several feet high either. If I can't do all of that or I can't maintain it, I'm not doing it. My goal is to set a precedent for the proper breeding and delivery of these animals to people who want them and have been properly vetted.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:08 pm

I'm going to bite my tongue, Renonvsparky, because I know you love guinea pigs and it's clear that you're always looking for ways to help them. I will just say that breeding is not a good idea, no matter how clean or sanitary or careful you are. It is extremely risky, and I do hope you'll reconsider:
http://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:07 pm

I am only thinking of it as an alternative to breeder mills that are giving us the abused, sickly animals we have at the big pet stores. If I do it, it's going to be done after much research, supervision by a competent exotic vet to monitor things and not on a large scale. I have no plans in motion at this time. My hope, if I decide to do it is to set an example of how to do it right.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:13 pm

I have to say, I agree with Sef 100%

Even "good" show breeders recognize the risks to the sow, the losses that occur in their quest for more guinea pigs.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:50 am

I understand where you're coming from, Renonvsparky.

Ages ago my parents raised dogs. All pedigreed, AKC, with good health and good bloodlines. Mom had poodles, Dad had labradors. He also trained dogs for hunting and field trial. All the dogs got personal attention daily. They dogs had large kennels, cleaned at least twice daily, high-quality food, a large fenced yard with grass and shade to spend hours running around, vaccinated and vet checked, etc.

Mom did the grooming and kept health and vaccination records. The large dogs outside had extra-insulated dog houses and hot meals in the winter.

It was a ton of work and never made any money except to cover expenses. But the dogs were well cared for, and a lot of people got really great dogs that were strong and healthy. A much better alternative to mass breeding facilities today that make a profit on sickly animals.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:12 am

I'm not on a quest for more Guinea pigs. People are going to have them either way. My goal is not to keep the species going or to get rich selling them. My only interest, if I were to breed Guinea pigs is to provide them only to people who I can be sure want them, will care for them and don't have to go through pet stores which support the awful places they get their piggies from. If I can't find a good vet to supervise and monitor the health of the sows and pups; or if I can't be 1000% sure everything is the most optimal it can be; then I'm not going to be doing any breeding. I know that the very mention of having pups gets people who are knowledgeable about them on the defensive and I share your concerns. Just know that this is nothing but a thought at this point.

I'm going to open a rescue as soon as I have a proper place and the means to make sure any pigs I take in have the best care possible. The breeding, if I were to do it would be totally separate. I understand the concern about breeding; even when every precaution has been taken, it's very risky. It is something I don't take lightly and will not just jump into.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:48 am

SSLee -

I was in to PetSmart right before all the pandemic stuff hit and one of the employees told me that Chewy isn't owned by PetSmart anymore.

I'm an absolute Chewy.com maniac. I order everything from them. If there's any reason at all I'm not satisfied, they refund my money, send me a replacement, AND tell me to keep the product I got.

I once got a package from them right after my birthday and was puzzled because I hadn't ordered anything. I opened it up and it was a little painting of my cavy Wynn, signed by the artist.

Chewy.com commissioned a custom painting of my guinea pig as a birthday present for me.

I have never been a customer of a company more devoted to keeping me happy.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:21 pm

I can't find anything about PetSmart selling Chewy. They spun them off as a publicly traded company, but as far as I can tell, they're by far the largest shareholder.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:27 pm

Lynx, Sef, years ago I read a post by Kleenmama about why she stopped breeding guinea pigs. I can't remember whether it was on here or at GPC, but can't find it either place. Do either of you know where to access that?

ETA: Never mind, I found it.

Renonvsparky, please read this before you proceed with any plans for breeding. Thanks.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... der#p40722

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:34 am

That was sobering.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:53 pm

It is sobering. As I have stated at least twice now, I have no plans in motion to breed guinea pigs at this time or any time in the near future. It is just something I have given thought to. I have considered the risk. If I ever do it, a veterinarian would monitor and supervise very closely. The cost of that alone is prohibitive at this point.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:51 pm

Wow! If that doesn’t make you think nothing will. Very sad.