The 3 (new) little piggies

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue May 26, 2020 6:24 pm

Oh, so that's what it takes to get a good picture of the girls together. Food! Well worth the price to get this photo!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue May 26, 2020 6:28 pm

Such a sweet, handsome boy! I call him Oreo Cookie.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 26, 2020 9:44 pm

You are lucky to have each other!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue May 26, 2020 11:06 pm

Oreo's introduction to grazing outside under the watchful eye of big brother, Mr Bubbles. He hardly knows what to do with himself. BJ is in the pen next to him (not in the picture) and he keeps going back and forth between the two of them. I don't think he's grazed outside before because he picked out one piece and tugged on it. After a few minutes of watching the other guys graze, he finally figured out that there is a whole lot more than one blade of grass and you don't have to pull it out roots and all.

The surrounding noise doesn't seem to bother him, so that's good. He seems more interested in rumble strutting with BJ than chowing down grass, although he did eat some. He tried the rumble strut with Mr Bubbles, but that got ignored because Mr Bubbles is only interested in the grass. As a matter of fact, he doesn't pay any mind to any of the others when they're outside together. It's like he knows that grazing time is limited and he has to eat as much as he can in the time he has.

In a week or two, I'll introduce Ginger and Maryann to the lawn. I just don't feel comfortable bringing them out just yet. They're quite skiddish and the noises from the main road behind the house and the nearby airport might be too much for them. Once I get them more relaxed in our home, I'll bring them out. In the meantime, I've been picking fresh grass and giving it to them a little at a time. They seem to like it, so I'm sure they'll chow down when the time comes to have them outside. It'll just be them without any of the boys with them and I'll have to put a cover over the pen to help them feel more secure.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 27, 2020 9:43 am

Sounds like a good idea to wait on the girls. Scared guinea pigs that get away somehow can be a nightmare to catch!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed May 27, 2020 7:27 pm

They're a nightmare to catch in their cage; at least Maryann is. I couldn't imagine if they got loose out in the open. Actually the only one of my piggies I wouldn't worry about is Mr Bubbles because he doesn't run away. He runs to me for shelter and security if he gets scared out there at all. It's only happened once when he was little. There's no way for them to get out of the pen once they're in it. I just have to hold them securely when I carry them in and out of the house so they don't jump.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 27, 2020 9:18 pm

I found this method the most secure:

https://www.guinealynx.info/handling.html

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri May 29, 2020 2:30 am

Day 4: The new piggies are fitting in nicely now. Ginger is quite the little wheeker. She goes off and then around the horn it goes. Mary Ann goes next, then Oreo and finally, Sammy. Mr Bubbles and BJ chime in, but it's with regular squeaks, not the loud wheeking. Dean gets excited and comes to the front of the cage to see what's up, but he doesn't squeak. He's never been much of a vocal type. It's so adorable and I love it so much that I find myself rattling plastic to get it going. Of course I have to give them all little treats to reward them.

The girls have virtually destroyed the little guinea pig ball I gave them on the first day. They love to play with it and chew on it. They take it from each other and toss it around. I took the shredded one out and gave them a fresh one. They wasted no time chewing it up. Oreo has one too and he plays with it, but not as much as the girls. I'm betting that will change when the big cages get here. According to Amazon, that should be tomorrow. I can't wait.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 29, 2020 8:24 am

It sounds like you are already having lots of fun with them!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri May 29, 2020 10:57 pm

It sounds like piggy daycare!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat May 30, 2020 5:26 am

New cages arrived today. Got them set up and the piggies in their new homes. The cages are about 10 inches shorter than the other ones but the same width. The piggies still look tiny in them. The girls were very excited. Oreo was too but not quite as much. It was so cute to watch them frolicking around. I think they'll have plenty of room.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat May 30, 2020 7:27 pm

I'll just leave this here.