My piggy barely eats after antibiotics.

Peanutpiggy

Post   » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:28 pm

Hi,
I'm here to ask for some help.

My one-year-old male piggy had crusty eyes for a month so I took him to a vet.
He was diagnosed with an upper respiratory problem so the vet gave me antibiotics, Azithromycin, and probiotics.

I syringe fed him once a day 0.55 ml of antibiotic after him having food and probiotics sprinkled on wed veggie.
His eyes cleared up after only one day but the problem is he started to eat almost nothing..
I called the vet and he said to stop on antibiotics. I gave him antibiotics only for two days but his diet, mood, health got extremely bad.

He seemed very stressed out and acting extremely skittish. He doesn't even want to come out from his hidee.
Yesterday I gave him Critial care, he immediately had some but not much..
He munches on tiny bit of Timothy hay if I put some inside his hidee. He loves carrot but he doesn't seem to be interested in eating any veggies either.
I'm very worried because of all this plus he doesn't drink except for when I forcefully syringe fed critical care.
His stalls are brown and small because of poor diet.
Most of the time he sleeps and doesn't come out of his hidee.

I don't know what to do to make my piggy eat well and healthy again.
Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:02 pm

Azithromycin can be very hard on the gut. Probiotics can often help, but did you wait an hour or so after giving him the antibiotic before giving him the probiotic? If not, some theorize that the probiotic will not have had enough time to start repopulating the "good" gut bacteria before being wiped out along with the "bad" bacteria by the Azithromycin.

I would continue with a good probiotic (what are you using?) and hand-feed with Critical Care. He MUST eat or he will not get better. Don't let him dictate how much he gets. Do follow the handfeeding directions below very carefully to avoid aspiration, but you will need to force-feed him if necessary. You will also need to continue pushing fluids to help keep him hydrated.

See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html
Also:
https://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html
And:
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Peanutpiggy

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:37 am

Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply.

I gave probiotics an hour before antibiotics. I also gave him after feeding antibiotics but not sure if waited long enough for an hour.
I don't remember but on the second day, I found him eating significantly less, so I was more concerned about getting him eat hay.

I can't seem to find the name of the probiotic. It almost looks like Critical Care which is a fine dry powder. (Rx#45151)

Yes, I read those pages. I have been kept force feeding him CC. He hates being fed and it is a lot of struggle. :(
But the good news is after each force feeding sessions, he often munchs on hay.

How long does it usually take for a guineapig to have a normal gut system?
Please let me know if there's anything I need to be aware of.

Thank you so much.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:02 am

Try sticking Critical Care in Microwave and warm it a little. Also make it a little watery to make it easier to swallow. When giving Probiotic waiting an hour or two AFTER antibiotic to ensure good tummy bugs. If you have another piggy poop soup might help! Keep us posted!

Peanutpiggy

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:51 am

Hi daisymay,

Thanks for your reply.
I will stick with CC.

I do have another piggy, who is currently living in a different cage. Should poop mixed with water and CC?

Thank you so much, again!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:59 am

Get poops and mash with water and give via a syringe! Warm the Critical Care a little. We have spent over 12 years syringe one pig or another and have found none like it cold. They prefer it just a little warm.

Peanutpiggy

Post   » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:14 am

Hi,

So I have been kept syringe feeding him a mixture of CC, blueberry, banana, pumpkin, vitamin B and probiotics.
I am feeding him every 3-4 hours except for the night time when I go to bed.
He seems doing better seeing that he munches on hay after I feed him. (Maybe he is stressed and wants to chew on something.)

His stalls are still very tiny and light brown, but I'm doing my best and hoping for the best.
One question I have is, should I make a new mix every time I feed him or can I keep it in fridge and warm it up?

Thank you so much for giving me tips. I will keep you posted!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:54 am

I use one mixture for 24 hours then throw it out and make a fresh lot. Says on Critical Care packet mixture only good for 24 hours. Do NOT warm the Probiotic as this will kill the good bugs in it. Weigh him daily so you can see whether he is improving or not.

Peanutpiggy

Post   » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi,
I'd like to give you an update on my piggy.

Thanks to all of your help, my piggy is eating well again and the stalls are bigger than ever. (twice than before as of today!! No joking.)
He lost some pounds because of the past week but I'll keep feeding him probiotics once a day with pumpkin and bit of critical care puree.

I'm wondering when would be the best time to get him back to his cage mate because they have been separated for the last two weeks. :(

My piggy is not a huge fan of the other one even though the other one kind of likes him because he is younger and energetic.
Any opinions?

Thank you so much!
Have a good day.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:52 pm

Thanks for the update. How much weight has he lost? Losing "some pounds" would be a lot. Do you mean a few ounces?
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

You might want to go carefully on the reintroductions. You can find some good advice here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/introductions.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:19 am

After being apart for a few weeks they may have forgotten each other. Why not put cage side by side and have them out together at floor time and cuddle time. Take slowly let them see and smell each other first. Being boys they not wish to be together. So glad piggy is doing better, hoping intro's go well!

Peanutpiggy

Post   » Mon May 17, 2021 1:49 am

Hi all. I'm here to ask some questions for my pig, Harry.
It is not URI issues but just continuing the thread as it is the same pig.

I noticed a small red scab on his forehead between eyes on Friday (3days ago). It was quite small like half of pea size- so I don't know how long it has been he has it. I took it off and put on some ointment. 3 days later, today. I noticed that the area where the scab became so big and red.
I read other threads on this forum and not sure if this is fungus?
I will see a vet as soon as I can but just want to ask if anyone knows if there's anything I can do for him now. I am feeling terrible for letting this happen and feel devastated because Harry has been sick from URI multiple time already and I take extra care for him...
Thank you so much for your help in advance.