Our girl Cherry has taken ill and has lost some of her appetite

duskern

Post   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:22 pm

So I found out today that she has some pus coming from a wound on her neck. It seems quite likely that she has been bitten. Our two girls have had some run ins. Seems like the other one is trying to ensure her leadership or something. There was an incident some days ago, where Cherry ran into a house where the other one, Luna, was sitting. I heard a squeal from Cherry, but for some reason didn't think to take her out and check. She seemed quite alright right there. I feel so stupid. I could probably had done something right there if only I had known :(

I will have to take her to the vet again Monday morning. I will of course mention CL, but I think it's more likely that this is a bite and pure bad luck. What do you guys think?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:37 pm

Bite, most likely.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:12 pm

If you have a nice curved tip syringe, you could flush it yourself with warm sterile saline (can even make saline solution yourself in a pinch if you don't have any).

https://www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_solutions.html

duskern

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:21 am

So we had her to the vet Monday. They told us that the wound was actually an opening they made when they removed the tooth, that they just forgot to inform us about. There was a bit of confusion since the vet who preformed the operation was not the one who talked to my wife when she was there to pick her up after the operation. There was some swelling around the area, so no abscess according to the vet. She got the wound cleaned and looked after while she was there. She seems to be doing a lot better after she came home and today is even better yet. I hope she keeps making progress.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:53 am

That's a relief. Thank you for the update! Fingers crossed for continued healing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:36 am

Ditto Sef. Hoping she recovers completely!!

duskern

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:40 am

Thx guys, I sure hope so too. I wanted to write you Monday already, but my days are so tight with taking care of the pigs, the children and working from home. She seems fine today as well <3

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:09 pm

It certainly can be challenging dealing with an ill guinea pig, making a living, and caring for children! Glad to hear she continues to seem fine.

duskern

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:35 pm

She is still doing really good and she seems totally normal. She has been making some strange sounds some times, but I haven't been able to figure out what that was about. I haven't heard it today though, so I guess it's probably nothing. She is slowly gaining more weight also :) We are to take her off the antibiotics and pain medication tomorrow, so I hope that goes well. There's nothing to suggest otherwise though. She seems to be eating fine every morning before I give the meds.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:55 pm

Excellent. Do keep us posted. So glad to hear this good news!

duskern

Post   » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:32 pm

Things are still going really good here. Cherry is doing fine. So far I haven't seen any negative signs in her behavior. We are so happy for that right now! I just hope she will continue being at good health :)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:15 pm

Excellent! Keep up the good work, both of you. :)