Slight diarrhea, not acting 100% himself

amberkenn2016

Post   » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 pm

Oh okay, thank you! I've heard that since their digestive systems move fast it doesn't stay with them very long, so that's why I try to do it only twice a day. But I'll stick to that then.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:09 am

It gets absorbed into the blood stream, so I don't think gut transit time has anything to do with its effectiveness.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:17 pm

Hi all! I figured I would give an update on Leo, and fortunately it's good news.

He's much more active! When he was in the thick of it I had to motivate him to get up and eat but now he's so vocal and is officially back to his original energy level. He had an ultrasound done a week ago, and he was cleared for stones. He is still on the baytril only for a couple more days, and I intend to keep him on it until then so as to not celebrate early. He's lying down so much more comfortably now, and I bet he's getting more undisturbed rest as a result. I'm so happy, I'm almost to tears. I'll give another update once he's off the meds, so let's hope this will be all there is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:57 pm

Thanks for the update! So happy to hear he is doing well! I take it you are continuing to weigh daily (it helps in making sure he is eating enough)?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:24 am

Fingers crossed! Do keep us posted.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:15 pm

Alright, so I may have celebrated early.

Yesterday, Leo squealed while urinating and left a whitish patch, so I hastily made an appt for today. He was palpated and we had a urine sample from him, which showed no signs of infection, and no crystals were mentioned either. He's been a little more tired today too, as he's not been as active as he usually is. Possibly could be that the appt stressed him out, but I'm going to watch him like a hawk.

I'm a little stumped as to what could have happened, as I was present during the ultrasound and everything looked clear, especially his bladder. I'm not a trained ultrasound reader by any means but I saw nothing. I thought for a second everything was okay and we could continue on but the universe seems to have other plans.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:23 pm

Can you remind me what his diet is?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:55 pm

And why ultrasounds for stones rather than x-rays? Given my choice, I'd take an x-ray every time.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:37 am

Our vet seemed very confident that nothing appeared out of the norm, and even when she felt his bladder she said it didn't feel like there was anything wrong. I even went as far as to ask if anything looked off "down there". He hasn't squeaked since while going to the bathroom but I plan to keep an eye on him, and if it continues I will plan on an x-ray.

And his diet is mainly consisted of 1/8c of pellets per day, unlimited Timothy hay, 1-2 yogurt drops a day, and about a cup total in veggies (cucumber, carrots, bell peppers are the main ones). I'm almost interested in eliminating pellets from his diet but he will squeak blood murder at me if he doesn't get those on time!

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:39 am

I should mention that I haven't changed the pellets he gets, the Kaytee brand I've mentioned before, but I recently ordered some KMS pellets because I wanted to see how those would do for him. I'm waiting for them to arrive.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:38 pm

As I mentioned before, those Kaytee pellets are very high in calcium and also contain calcium carbonate -- a possible contributor to sludge and bladder stones in some pigs.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:25 pm

I understand, but he was starting to have this issue even while he was on the Oxbow pellets, so I'm beginning to wonder if the pellets he has are unrelated to the problem he is experiencing.