Slight diarrhea, not acting 100% himself

amberkenn2016

Post   » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:43 pm

His poops are regular sized, as far as I can see. At least, regular for him. They're still bigger than what I'm used to in a guinea pig. His poops are staying the same color, a medium brown/slightly green.

I just massaged his tummy for about 20 minutes, and it looks like he's perked up a little. I'll continue on with that at the very least.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:48 pm

I brought Leo to the vet, and the vet there didn't see much cause for concern for him after palpating his stomach. She said she's seen guinea pigs with bloat and he did not have anything close to that, so that's good. However he's still acting somewhat lethargic, and now has powdery deposits in his urine. He's still peeing, I've been watching him like a hawk.

About two weeks ago we changed his pellets over to Oxbow, so I'm wondering if there's a correlation to his urine looking the way it does. He didn't have a stone a month ago, so I was also wondering if stones can occur in such a short period of time?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:22 pm

Stones can form very quickly. We had one guinea pig who formed them in less than a month's time.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:28 am

Just a quick update, we had Leo's urine tested a week ago and it showed that he had quite a bit of bacteria in it but no signs of blood or crystals. He is now on an antibiotic and had been taking it ever since then. The vet also palpated his abdomen to check for anything out of the ordinary, including stones, but she couldn't feel anything off. So the order was that if the antibiotics didn't help, we would continue with an x-ray.

I have only had him for 2 months and can't be 100% sure what his behavior normally is. But he stands still and poops a whole bunch, almost like he's in a thousand yard stare. I've had a pig who did that before but there was nothing wrong with him at the time. He's still moving around normally and is very vocal, he will bother our new pig until the cows come home.

Is standing for minutes on end and pooping in one spot abnormal behavior? He isn't vocalizing at all when he does it, and I'm assuming if he was in pain he wouldn't hesitate to let us know.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:38 am

I wouldn't worry about it, myself.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:31 pm

If you don't notice anything else unusual, then I would agree. That could just be his thing.

SarahBBB

Post   » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:36 pm

Can you try giving him 0.5ml of Infacol several times a day? My exotic vet recommended it to combat bloat. Good luck! X

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:05 pm

I'm not too certain he has bloat, my vet told me that his stomach felt fine and wasn't hard with gas as you'd probably see in a bloated pig. And he doesn't look bigger to me at all, but I appreciate the suggestion.

My biggest worry is we have a new guy, Morty, and because he's so shy in front of us we put a blanket over his cage. Leo will go under the blanket during floor time and just sit there and stare at him. They're not in the same cage yet, but they're neighbors essentially. And he'll just sit there, almost frozen. I think he might just be enthralled that he has a buddy now, but I don't know if he looks uncomfortable or not. During these times he doesn't eliminate or pee. Is it common for Guinea pigs to stare like this?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:46 pm

I would not recommend giving him anything for bloat, based on what you have described.

Staring into space can be pain related, but that doesn't sound like what you're seeing here. I'm not sure that any of ours have ever done that.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:58 pm

Oh okay, and today he has been more sleepy than usual. We did just introduce him to Morty so that might have made him exhausted. He's also chattered his teeth at me a couple of times in the past couple of days, but Im thinking he's annoyed with me hovering over him. I'm just not sure how to read him sometimes, and especially since the loss of George I've been watching over him so much.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:52 pm

The chattering can be a sign of pain.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:17 am

Lynx, I've thought that too, but he never chattered at me before his cage mate died. It was only after when I was spending alot of time with him, so that's why I think it's likely just him telling me to stop being a helicopter. But we did switch our pellets over to Oxbow the week before his cage mate's death. Is it at all possible for the Oxbow to have that much of an effect on him? Especially stones in such a short amount of time?