Violet's medical thread

Zaphy

Post   » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:30 pm

All right. I'm pretty darn sure that it's new, but she does have dark skin elsewhere on her body. Do guinea pigs sometimes develop benign freckles/moles like people do too then? (thank you for the responses!)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:06 pm

I would take a really good closeup of her foot (you could even post it here) and maybe once a month or so, compare it to your picture for changes. You might also have a vet look at it, now or the next time you see him.

I think there are general guidelines humans would follow to monitor changes in their skin. Perhaps not all would apply but I'm sure some would.

Guidelines I found here:
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/skincancer ... d-symptoms

A is for Asymmetry: One half of a mole or birthmark does not match the other.
B is for Border: The edges are irregular, ragged, notched, or blurred.
C is for Color: The color is not the same all over and may include shades of brown or black, or sometimes with patches of pink, red, white, or blue.
D is for Diameter: The spot is larger than 6 millimeters across (about ¼ inch – the size of a pencil eraser), although melanomas can sometimes be smaller than this.
E is for Evolving: The mole is changing in size, shape, or color.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:17 am

Ditto Lynx. Comparison photos taken at regularly-spaced intervals is a real good idea.

Zaphy

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:17 pm

Just wanted to update this before I lost track of these photos.
May 3:
Image (it looks darker in these, but that's because the scaliness of the skin on her feet has gone down- the actual mark didn't seem to have darkened)
Today, June 8:
(it took two WHOLE grapes to get that last photo, haha)

Not much to say about em yet, I think. Just an update.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:46 pm

Would you like these two pics added too?

I think having reference photos will be very helpful for you. It helps to have a picture to compare with.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:04 am

Lol at two whole grapes! ;-)

Keep us posted.

Zaphy

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:56 am

Sure, if it's not too much trouble to add em! It definitely helps to compare, and especially to have them all in one place like this.

Violet's always been a fussy pig. :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:02 am

She would say 'willful and determined'.

:-)

Zaphy

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:33 am

^This one is from the end of November last year.

^And this one is from today.

Is it just me, or does it look like it's growing?

On that subject, I was feeling Violet's sides today cause I thought she might be a little gassy, and I think I found a lump inside. Not a vet, so no idea what it is, but it reminded me a lot of Poppy's lump, which was right next to the ovaries (actually was attached to the cecum but it looked ovarian on u/s and by palpation). On top of this, I took a look at her nipples and they look crusty so I would probably expect something ovarian. I would like to never find another lump in any of my guinea pigs ever again. She does not display any other symptoms... she's still my same prissy princess pig that she's been since day 1. No hair loss, no attitude changes, no appetite changes, no weight loss, no activity changes. I am hoping that it is just a cyst. Or really, nothing. It would be ideal for it to be nothing and for me to just be a hypochondriac about my guinea pigs. But knowing our luck that's just not going to happen.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 am

I would continue to monitor the lump - if you see a vet, find out what he/she thinks. If you have a really high resolution picture, you might be able to tell more about the dark spot on the foot.

I think of the spot being either normal pigmentation (in which case it would always have been there) or skin cancer (in which case it would likely be brown vs. black and have some of the characteristics of a melanoma - what I can see doesn't make me think that it is a melanoma).

The foot otherwise looks pretty healthy.

Zaphy

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Unfortunately that's about as clear as I can get a photo of.

Vets were worried when they saw my name again, haha. They said the foot freckle didn't look like anything to worry about though (for the same reasons you mentioned, Lynx), which was good!

They were able to palpate the mass I had felt. The student who did the initial exam told me it might be on her cecum (to which I had flashbacks to Poppy and just about lost my mind), but when the vet came in and examined her he said it was "about 95% certainly" ovarian. The ultrasound machine is booked for several days so she's scheduled for one next week on the 19th. Will update then. Hoping for it to be just a cyst (though it sounded like they will probably recommend a spay regardless).

Also I got a medical professional's opinion that Violet is, indeed, the prettiest, most best pig. ;)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Would you like your foot pics added permanently for future readers? I think you've given an okay previously.

And glad to hear you have confirmation Violet is, indeed, the prettiest, most best pig!!!