Uh oh!!!

RubySimon

Post   » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:21 am

Oh Sef, hope your piggy has pulled through and is back to 100%. It is always so frightening.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:35 am

Excellent - that painting is adorable.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:10 pm

Glad you like it!

RubySimon

Post   » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:23 am

Ugh, Oreo, the older (1 year) pig bit me today. Hard enough to draw blood. He is just so terrified of being handled. And all I was doing was taking him from bathroom play time to his pen, which he is very used to do. Not sure I will ever be able to turn him around. Going to keep trying. The younger one is doing better at being picked up and handled. I started with him at an earlier age, so he is more malleable I guess.

I told the shelter about it, they will note it in his bio. Totally not suitable for first time piggy owners or younger kids. At least IMO. He needs a family that will accept him on his terms and realize he has "issues". Sigh..........

RubySimon

Post   » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:23 am

If anyone goes to Free Kibble and clicks, check out the what makes me happy part of the page!!!!!!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:56 pm

Have you tried giving him something to eat, like fresh grass, lettuce, or corn husk, and then picking him up? With his mouth full it’s harder to bite, and he should start associating food with being handled. Just a thought.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:57 pm

Our first pig was a biter. We used a kleenex box, with the opening cut out a bit, to get her out of the cage. We'd put it down next to her & she'd climb in. We'd lift her up in the box like it was an elevator - being careful about her possibly falling out. To put her back, she would trot over to her cage, we'd lift the side & she'd jump in. I can't remember what we did when we *had* to get her out of the cage. She was always up for some adventure so it wasn't often a problem.

It is a good idea to be sure she gets patient adopters who know what they'll be dealing with.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:57 pm

I think the being in the air for the transition from ground to out of the cages is the scariest part. I am guessing the box gave a more secure feeling.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:16 pm

Interesting.

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:12 am

I agree Lynx. He seems to do it when he is off the ground. He is sporadic with his biting. I don't think he is a true biter, he will be fine a lot of the time, then he will nip at a strange time. I have really been working on handling him. My husband finally clipped their nails and he nipped twice, but not really hard, more just in protest. I think we are making progress. Slow, but some headway to them learning that people are not so so scary.
The shelter called and said they had adopters, a mom and 11 year old son. I told them that these guys were definitely not a good fit. Thankfully, they listened and directed them to another pair of boys they have. I did a cute little write up for their bio page that outlines some of their "quirks". But it also talks about what great pigs they will be in the right home and how cute and funny they are. I put in it that a home with young children would be a mistake (not worded quite like that). I hope they get placed soon. I don't want them to have to go back to the shelter to stay for any length of time before being adopted. But of course, I don't really have a say in that. I hope that they just figure that since they are in foster, they are better off.

RubySimon

Post   » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:19 pm

Supposed to bring them to the shelter to meet some adopters tomorrow! I have mixed emotions. They need to find their forever home, but with losing Simon on Saturday, now them leaving, it is sad.

I truly do hope it works out. And I hope I like the people or that will stink! The hard part of being a fosterer I guess.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:28 pm

Good luck tomorrow! I hope you like them and that they are a good match.