Chew sticks

RubySimon

Post   » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:26 am

Good morning!

Have not been on here for awhile, hope everyone is having a nice holiday season.

Does anyone know of a good source for applewood chew sticks? Not Oxbow, they are too expensive. All the ones I find on Amazon are made by companies that have weird names. Would love to find some that are definitely safe.

Thank you for any info offered.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:31 pm

I have never given them. Maybe some special hays and vegs?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:50 pm

Amazon. It's amazing. They have apple wood sticks for as little as $8. And if you use the link at the bottom of this page you will be helping to support Guinea Lynx because we are an Amazon affiliate!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Apple+Sticks ... nb_sb_noss

If you're not totally set on wood sticks for your guinea pigs to chew on, try wicker balls. Mine love them. They play with them and chew on them. They're pretty inexpensive and they last a couple of weeks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:24 am

Thanks for mentioning that, Renonvsparky! I think the most sure way to benefit Guinea Lynx is to click on the link below first and then click on the link you posted. What happens is that first connection kind of "registers" whatever purchases you make to benefit the referrer. There are no automatic Guinea Lynx codes added in to the posts (I wish there were - would make it easier). But the two step process seems to work.

I can say I like the idea of the wicker chew balls better than the apple wood sticks.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:55 pm

Sammy liked both the wood sticks and the wicker balls. He chewed the sticks and pushed the ball around. Dean is the one who chews up the wicker ball. Mr Bubbles doesn't like either one. He has a special chew toy. The rest of the pigs prefer the wicker balls over anything else I give them to chew.

I got the link I posted by clicking on the link below and typing it the search item. 🙂

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:15 pm

The link below is appears as a shortened link but includes "Guinea Lynx" as the referrer:
https://www.amazon.com/?tag=guinealynx-20&linkCode=ez

RubySimon

Post   » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:14 pm

Thank you!

I like the NiteAngel sticks from Amazon, but they are out of stock. Am leery of some of the others since they are made by companies with odd names.

I actually use them for one pig and my chinchilla. Neither of my pigs have any use for willow balls. Little stinkers, lol.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:11 am

I have some of the wicker balls that came with a play wall, but Gidget isn’t interested. So I use it to hide lettuce and veggie pieces so she has something to search for.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:39 am

That's weird. Mine love them. They are little clowns when they toss them, push them with their noses and chew them. To each their own I guess.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:54 pm

I don’t think Gidget had a variety of food or a lot of sensory stimulation as a baby. She’s not wild about the Oxbow vitamin C and she doesn’t care for the Simple Rewards treats. She’s not a fan of meadow grass or timothy, she doesn’t like apples, arugula, or dandelion and she’s luke-warm about peppers. So I’m trying to broaden her horizons.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:01 am

I sure hope she ends up eating more hay! I think of it as such an important staple for so many reasons - teeth and digestion especially!

Too bad you can't sit her down and explain it to her!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:00 pm

BJ was like that, but only with veggies. Sammy and Dean only got lettuce for their veggies. I just kept giving them other things and they eventually came around to them. I honestly believe that Gidget will too.