Buttercup

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat May 29, 2021 1:19 am

So I went back east to Illinois for my grandson's high school graduation. On the way home, we stopped in southern Missouri to look at properties and put in a bid on an 8.7 acre farm with a pasture. My bid was accepted so it's up to the bank now. Right before I left, my daughter asked me if I would be willing to adopt a female Abby that was headed to the shelter. My heart bled for the poor sweet girl but I had to say no. I explained the dangers of having female, including the obvious possibility of life "finding a way" despite your best efforts as well as what having a female around could do to the 3 bonded pairs of boars.

The message missed the mark because the day after I left, I got the call from my granddaughter, who was watching after the boys (and did an amazing job of it) that she needed to know where the spare cage is because her mom had a new guinea pig for us. Needless to say, I was furious. I tempted fate once and got away with it and was not prepared to try it again. Anyway, I told her where the cage was and gave her instructions on how to set it up and strict orders to keep Buttercup totally clear of the boys.

I got home last night and met Buttercup for the first time. I can see why they didn't want her to go to the shelter. She's such a sweet girl. I'm still pretty steamed, but not at the piggie. She's a pretty good eater and although she doesn't run away when I reach for her and she lets me pick her right up, she doesn't come up to the front of the cage to greet me yet. She gets excited and squeaks at feeding time too. Best of all, she's a snuggler. All in all she's a hearty and healthy pig. I'm going to try and manage this situation. If it turns out to be too much, I'll have to go ahead and re-home her. I'll have to be very careful to choose the right home for her if it comes to that.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat May 29, 2021 1:46 am

This is Buttercup.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 29, 2021 8:22 am

Ooh, she's a cutie! And she needs a female friend! I think you can manage this just fine.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat May 29, 2021 9:18 am

OMG! She's adorable!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 29, 2021 9:30 am

I suggest considering getting her spayed. If you get another female, spayed also!

You will sleep easier that way.

If the 8.7 acre farm with a pasture works out for you, I hope it ends up bringing you happiness!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat May 29, 2021 6:32 pm

No female companion for Buttercup. 9 guinea pigs is too many. Actually 8 is too many which is why I didn't want to get another one. In the unlikely event that the pairing of Buttercup with another female breaks down, I'd have virtually nowhere to put another cage. That, plus I would be doubling up on the chance that life finds a way. Not that I would mind the pitter patter of little paws, it's just that I wouldn't want to risk the potential harm to mothers and babies or put my animals in a position where they are overcrowded. I'll be her companion and I have help. My granddaughter, Hope absolutely loves these piggies and is always happy to help make sure they're getting plenty of love and attention.

Not sure I want to put buttercup through the spay process either. High dollar, high risk and while it is better than her having pups, I'm not sure if it's something that absolutely needs to be done. If I get the VA loan for the farm in Missouri, it'll be guinea pig heaven. The pasture is a very good mixture of grasses that will provide all of the hay I could ever need. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

I have a pretty good plan for transporting the guinea pigs too. The one I'll worry about the most is Mr Bubbles. He's on the brink of turning 5, so it could be a rough trip on him. Sammy and Dean are a few months shy of turning 3 and the rest are all 2 years old and younger. We transported Chico from Tacoma, WA to Trenton, NJ when I was a teenager and she was just about the same age. My car is a crossover minivan and if I fold down the seats, I can fit their cages in there. The dual climate control, combined with them being in their regular cages with their normal toys and hideys and not a carrier should make things easier on them.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 11:28 am

Hoping Buttercup settles in well! Hope you get your loan approved and get the home and land of your dreams and your piggies dreams true. Have paws crossed here.

We only moved 5 minutes away and with in 2 years we love Jan, Jaffa, Joy and then Jolly the rabbit too. We hope the move goes well for one and all!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 7:29 pm

She is an adorable pig!! Southern MO has some pretty countryside. Hope that works out for you & the pigs.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 9:27 pm

Wow, talk about changes in your life! I hope the farm works out for you. The fresh grass and hay would be wonderful. Buttercup is so cute, I know you’ve already fallen for her and she’ll have the best care.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:19 pm

I found out that Buttercup was paired with an older female who bullied her. That's why they were separated and re-homed. Might explain why she spends so much time in her house, yet at the same time doesn't mind being picked up and handled by humans. I took her outside to graze. In addition to the cover over the pen, I put her hidey hut out there with her for extra security. It took a while, but she eventually came out to explore and she ate some grass. Looks like she's on her way to where she needs to be with us.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:31 pm

Watch out--the pigs we "didn't really want" turned out to be some of the most special in our lives.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:29 pm

I love how the personalities of each pet develop. Even chicken personalities!