Male pig going humpnuts

jenicillin

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:41 am

So, I have a foster female (spayed cause tumors) Poppers-with a history of tumors, who I would like to put with foster male Archie-with a history of terrible dental issues. I did an introduction and they seemed to be ok, but when I put them together Archie went totally crazy. I do know that there will be some dominance behavior, but this was not like normal dominance stuff. Archie spent 5 hours chasing her around trying to hump her, not allowing food or drinks or rest. Like he was totally bullying her and going insane trying to hump. I separated them again, because both of them have some chronic health issues, and this kind of activity is unhealthy for both of them. They both need food, water and rest. Does anyone have experience with a boy pig going humpnuts? Why? What can I do to mitigate this? Archie would be much happier with a cagemate, and probably so would Poppers, but I can't let her get bullied like that? And Archie also can't thrive if he is spending all his time freaking out and trying to hump her. What is going on in his tiny rodent brain? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:31 am

How long total were they together? Did the other pigs look stressed out? I would chalk this up mostly to overenthusiasm. New pigs together take a week or so to settle down, so I'd be curious how this looked the next day or two days later. How long did introductions last and where did you do them?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:45 am

IF he continues the same behavior the next time you put them together, I'd do a buddy bath (together, not separately), and put a teeny tiny dab of vanilla on both noses and butts. That might get them through the initial stages until he calms down.

Also make sure something is breaking up the lines of sight in the cage. Out of sight, out of mind. You can use fleece forests or suitably placed boxes, to give her a little privacy.

Also, how large is the cage? And did you clean it thoroughly before you put them in it, so that it smells nothing like either pig?

jenicillin

Post   » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:09 pm

I took her out after 5 hours, as she did have major surgery a couple of weeks ago, with a nasty infection. I want to reintroduce them only one more time, I won't take her away and put her back repeatedly. It got the other pigs riled up as well, but I don't know about stress. A lot of running around and yelling? I'm waiting to reintroduce them until she is totally off her meds and I am no longer supplementing with critical care. Introduction was in a separate collapsible cage on my living room floor, for about two hours. He did not go crazy on her there, everything seemed fine until I moved them.

I'll put up more hidey-holes. The cage is 3x3 C&C, so it should be big enough for both of them. I did clean it first, rinsed off with clean bedding, but it has been his cage for a long time. Should I clean it more thoroughly with vinegar or something? I will try the bath too. I don't usually bathe anyone unless they are stinky, but this seems like it might work.

Archie used to do this to his last cagemate, sometimes go crazy (maybe every couple of months, like something misfired in his tiny rodent brain), and I would take him out overnight so she could get a break (she was old with a bad leg) and he could calm down, but until they are settled in I think separating them over and over would just exacerbate the issue. Both of his previous girls died and I know he would be much happier with company.

Thank you for any advice! All of my fosters are old or have chronic health problems, or both; basically the unadoptibles. I try to make their lives as nice as possible, even if they end up being short.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:55 am

Everything in the cage should be thoroughly cleaned and not smell anything like either pig. That means nothing should be in there that was there when it was his alone. Wash the water bottles thoroughly, and wipe down any plastics with vinegar and water. You can take hideys out for the time being and replace them with cardboard boxes, then put them back in if things settle down. Just draping a couple of pieces of fleece across the cage helps break things up. And it goes without saying (I hope) that all hideys should have at least two doors.

I'd also leave them in the neutral area a lot longer. My rule of thumb is to wait until everybody is tired enough to take a nap before putting them back in the cage.

jenicillin

Post   » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:43 am

That's interesting. When I first put him with Ren it was HER cage, and he was a lot more polite. She was also willing to turn around and smack him down though, even old and gimpy. Poppers just runs and screams, and doesn't defend herself. I think she was a lone pig before, she was unspayed and is very cuddly and friendly - like she was someone's beloved pet. I have a week at least until Poppers is off meds, I think I'll just build a new cage. I can see how it would be his territory, empowering him to be a crazy bully.

Poor Archie who wants a girl so bad, and doesn't have the brain power to realize he could already have one if he just chilled out. He lost Ren the same day he got another horrible golf ball abscess in January. He's had a few hard months. I'd really like to resolve this. Thanks!

jenicillin

Post   » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:06 am

And yes, all hideys in cages with pairs have at least two doors. And two water bottles. Pretty much two of everything to keep people happy. They get pretty jealous about stuff, I've found.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:21 pm

She had major surgery a couple weeks ago? I would make sure she is completely healed up before putting them together (can be in adjacent cages).

jenicillin

Post   » Tue May 04, 2021 1:05 am

I did all the suggested things, after Poppers was healed up and was doing well. New cage, buddy bath, vanilla butts, neutral cage to introduce, but Archie still was going hormonal nuts. He is medically fragile enough that I had to stop and put the girl pig away from him. He was going insane and losing all kinds of weight. I put Poppers in another room with my older pair for a few days, just to get her away from Archie, so he would calm down. (Dottie did fine with her, but was kind of unhappy about having anyone else there. Dottie was a hoard rescue, so she knows all about having too many other pigs around. Dottie is pretty chill, isn't any kind of aggressive, but would rather be alone and be a fatty asleep) and Poppers is now with my super old foster Gemini (almost 8). They seem fine, a normal amount of humping and arguing. This is not the outcome I wanted, but it seems to be the best for all the pigs. I feel bad for Archie, he desperately wanted a girl. I guess all I can do is snuggle him. Is there anything that can be done for a poor boy who is alone?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 04, 2021 9:29 am

I know we sympathize so much about our guinea pigs. I don't know if this page would give you any ideas but might. It addresses making the environment more interesting:
https://www.guinealynx.info/alone.html
Fweeprluvr writes:
  • I usually recommend to people that have a grieving pig after another has died, that they change everything in the pigs life around. New cage setup, new cage location, new feeding times, feeding places, floor areas, floor times, everything. That way, everything is different, and so the pig will be focusing on all the new things that are different, and not just on the one thing that is missing.
  • You might consider putting the cage in a higher traffic area like the kitchen so he gets more attention. Some guinea pigs may find comfort in having a plush animal companion in the cage

jenicillin

Post   » Wed May 12, 2021 2:32 am

Archie lost two cagemates. He lost Alcott, his long time cagemate, who died of a non-treatable URI. Alcott was a good girl, but she died pretty horribly. Then he lost Wren, his next girl who died the same day he got a horrible abscess. I went to say goodnight, and Wren was gasping for air and twitching, so I took her to get euthanized. But Wren was at least 7, so an old lady. That was also terrible. I guess the best I can do is give him all the cuddles. I feel pretty bad that Archie is alone, but at least he can sit on my lap and get pets.