PTSD and autism

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:10 am

Binky came from 4 caretakers before us, and he must have had a few places where he was treated so badly, he suffers from PTSD because of it. I recognized it, as I have it too.

He lives alone, due to his illnesses coming across as aggressive to other pigs. He had some battle scars when he arrived, it happened at other caretakers too.

When he bumps his butt into something during his naps, he often thinks he's under attack. Never when we pet him, but only when he does it to himself. This usually drives him into an argument against invisible pigs. Sometimes even his Dollie, and then he throws her out of his hidey. I sometimes take him out of the cage when that happens and it's been going on for more than a few minutes, to pet him on my shoulder.

He had a serious bout of PTSD last week. I consoled him, and hub noticed when I held him that there was blood. Binky had accidentally snapped at invisible pigs, but this time, he snapped his skin in 2 spots superficially, found another snap last evening which was all healed up, kinda hard to find in between all that hair. Those cuts made him think he was bitten by others, fueled his PTSD and he was completely frantic!

We consoled him for hours, taking turns. I also took him for a walk around the house on my shoulder, giving him a house tour as a guide, so to speak. He actually loves watching our Sylvanian Families settings, and those get updated regularly, which totally peak his interest. He even can see part of them from his cage and we have seen him sitting and looking at them too. We put him back in a cage without any hideys a few hours after the PTSD attack, so he could see that no other pig was there. He inspected the lot briefly and then looked at me to ask for his hideys again, lol, which were put back in and he went for a nap. He's fine again since, wew. The wounds were treated and are healed up.

That said, he's an "on the clock" pig. Not just food, lap time, treats. He demands his meds on the clock, and those are incredibly disgusting. He gets agitated if it doesn't happen at the intended moments during the day, or when we both have to go out for the day. I have known and know several friends with autistic children, they insist he's autistic when I tell how much Binky needs a strict schedule.

This might contribute to the fact that other pigs find his behavior unsafe, and his obvious lack of skills to deal with them. We tried to bond him several times and he does just about everything wrong, even with the gentlest pigs I had, they all became violent after a few minutes of tolerating him. Only Plucky, in her last 2 days at old age, almost crawled over to the separator and kissed him on the cheek twice, as if she finally realized he's a good boy after all.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:42 am

Binky certainly is a unique guinea pig. I think he is beyond fortunate to be a part of your family. It is in the time we spend with our pets that we discover so much about them.

I hope he is with you for a long time.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:19 pm

He's lucky. His humans are his devoted companions and they understand him.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:09 am

Thanks both! I just wanted to bring this topic up, to make caretakers understand that pigs can have identical brain issues as humans do.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:41 am

We've had a couple of pigs that, according to one of my daughters, had "poor social skills" (autism spectrum??).

We also had one that must have been traumatized. When we got her she was living in a wild bird sanctuary (which was bad enough) and a snake got loose (don't know why they had a snake) and ate her cage mate. That was the most difficult introduction we ever had. It's the only time I've ever heard a gp hiss. She did come to adapt and love her two cage mates who were both of very mild temperament (Nutmeg & Pepper, mother & daughter). But she was always tense & timid.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:01 am

I hope Binky finally learns that his home is safe and that he can relax and enjoy himself. It sounds like you are doing everything to help make that happen.

We have a rescue dog with similar issues. He's been with us for 3.5 years. He is better now that we know some of the triggers.

He's scared and growls when we pick him up. He stiffens up like he's preparing to be thrown. He ducks when we reach to pet him, sometimes he flattens himself on the floor cringing, so we pet him under the chin first so he knows he's okay.

We have to go out in the fenced backyard with him or he sits by the door watching for anything that might come after him. He will find places to hide and back into so no one can get behind him.

Morning and early afternoon he's more relaxed, but as soon as it gets dark he's scared. As we watch TV in the evening, he sleeps on his bed. Every few minutes he wakes up growling, we tell him he's okay, he relaxes and lays back down. This cycle repeats all evening. Sometimes he wakes up snarling and snapping, but that is getting less and less. If we move or get up out of the chair, he's scared and growls. So now I talk him down first, promising treats and toys and that seems to do the trick.

The other day I was putting my shoes on and when I picked one up, he ducked and flinched. So apparently someone not only teased the hell out if him but also threw shoes at him as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:54 am

I wish there was some sort of therapy for your rescue dog, ItsaZoo. Having been with you for 3.5 years and still responding to some of these triggers is tough.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:14 am

That poor dog. It's painful to think of what all he must have gone through before he got lucky & found a home with you.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:08 am

I am so sorry for all the poor traumatized pets out there. My MIL had dogs like that too. The current one also has issues, especially regarding seeing a broom.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:51 pm

Oh yes, brooms can be a trigger. We had one that reacted to a spatula. When I was cooking dinner we would play. He’d roll his tennis ball to me and I’d kick it. Well, one time I turned around holding a spatula in my hand and he was gone. So we worked through that. He was one that would never enter a room where he could be cornered, like a bathroom. He always stayed in the open.

All you can do is figure out what triggers their behavior and then do something that distracts them in a good way.