Interesting article on fleece causing microplastic pollution...

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:25 pm

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0237839

The summary of this is that washing synthetic fabrics like polar fleece and nylon will put plastic micro-fibers into your wastewater. As someone with a half bedding/half fleece setup I’m fairly alarmed and may even consider full bedding thanks to this. Would love to hear thoughts.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:52 pm

Yeah, I've read that, and think it's accurate. I'm kinda glad my GPs are gone.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:30 pm

Interesting report. Many of the synthetic fabrics are made using recycled plastic bottles so I can understand where the microfiber plastics come from. It sounds like waste water treatment plants will be one of the keys to catching these fibers and disposing of them to reduce plastics.

Also the information about filters on washing machines is interesting. I had an old Maytag for 35 years that had a plastic filter in the center of the agitator. I always had a wad of fibers and debris that I cleaned after every load. In the last year I replaced it with a new Speedqueen which is supposed to be commercial quality. But there’s no filter. I asked the salesperson who said the debris floats up and goes down the drain. I find it also floats around in the wash and lands on my clothes.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:30 pm

Ugh.

I will say, though...if we have four more years of this administration's war on science, microfibers in our wastewater will be the least of our environmental worries.

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:08 am

Trueeeeee 😭

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:15 pm

There are also special bags and other fiber catchers you can put in the washer to help.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:17 am

I should look into those. I wash almost everything on heavy duty just to get good agitation and a high speed spin cycle.

Kelsie

Post   » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:29 pm

There's a product called GuppyFriend Washing Bag that is supposed to catch the microfibers. The cost is a little high, $34.95 for one bag. I also have a Speed Queen commercial quality washer. I've thought about purchasing one of these bags but I'm not sure how many of my fleece items would fit into just one bag.

I do use a horse blanket washing bag and that does collect some of the fur that I miss when I shake the fleece outside. I'm not sure that it stops the microfibers though.