Reintroduction!

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:01 pm

Hello all, my last pig passed away in 2012 right after my daughter was born. She is about to be 8 and desperate for any animal! Dogs and cats are not an option. She would love a guinea pig and so I have considered getting for her upcoming 8th birthday. A friend sent me a post at a local town animal shelter that has 2 girls together, one is 4mos and the other 8mos, I feel like it is a sign, but they won't hold them for me and I have nothing left anymore!

I am looking for the following advice while I google. A C&C cage that is already put together or prepackaged. Guineapigcagesstore is taking 2 weeks, I can order from them unless anyone has a faster option? In the past I used only carefresh, I am thinking of using fleece but having an insert "cavy cafe" for food and the rest fleece.

Second who makes fleece pads I can use? What is the best route?

Third I used to order beds and sacks from someone on here, does anyone still make?

Since these little ones are under one, do they get alfalfa pellets and hay till 1? Then I switch to timothy? Are we all using kms still?

Thanks, please bear with me while I refresh my brain.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:45 pm

Long time no see! Crazy how kids grow up and have their own kids :-)

You might want to check the Fun page for some supporters and former supporters. I think WindeSpirit's site is not active. I have not been able to contact her but you may have better luck. She makes great items.
https://www.guinealynx.info/fun.html

You might want to reread the basics too. Hay forever. Alfalfa pellets til maybe 6 months. I would not give alfalfa hay. KMS Hayloft is still around but under new ownership.
https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:14 pm

I love everything I purchased from the guinea pig cages store and related guinea pig market place. I also went the cafe route, and have Kaytee granules bedding in the “kitchen” and bought the fleece flippers for the rest of the cage.

They have been working really well. I love that I can flip them midweek and it’s almost like having a clean cage again, and the coroplast insert makes them easier to vacuum before washing. (I live in an apartment and can’t really shake anything out outside.)

It was expensive, and did take a while, but I don’t regret it. The pigs love the cage, and all the beds which I also got from the market place.

tiggyswift

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:04 am

Is the Sef’s Market Place still open? What is the name of it as I haven’t been able to find it for years.

I use fleece, moving blankets from Walmart, and washable pee pads in my cages. I order Oxbow pellets and hay from Chewy.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:43 pm

I use fleece blankets too, but instead of pads, I use horse bedding pellets. When I change the bedding, I just have to scoop out the wet stuff and replace it with new pellets. There's usually only one or two small spots to scoop out and it just takes a small handful to replace it. The 25 lb bag lasts for a couple of months for 5 cages.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:25 pm

I used horse bedding pellets as well, but I just stirred them occasionally. Two 40-pound bags will last a full year. Cheapest bedding going, and the absolute best at odor control.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:55 pm

I could probably do that too but I'm extra picky about my guinea pigs.

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:03 am

Renonvsparky - Where do you buy horse pellet bedding? Do you use only in the kitchen? Not under fleece?

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:04 am

JJGbieze - Do you use anything under the fleece? Any kind of liner?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:03 pm

Do you have any farm stores nearby? Around here, we have Tractor Supply and Southern States Coop.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:11 pm

The fleece flippers from guineapigmarket.com are pieces of coroplast that come with moving blankets which you wrap around the coroplast and then shimmy into a fleece pocket. They’re pretty absorbent.

I know the wrapping and the shimmying is kind of a hassle - but I like the structure of them. It makes it easier for me to vacuum the fleece before I toss it in the wash. I don’t have anywhere that I could otherwise shake out the fleece.