Reintroducing boars and incessant mounting

popcorn fan

Post   » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:32 pm

Hello! After 6 months of separation due to medical issues, i reintroduced my 2 adult boars today. I am almost 7 hours through the process.. Started in neutral territory...moved to cleaned out cage. There has been no blood shed, but Dumbledore is continuously mounting Neville. Neville varies between ignoring, running away and asserting himself. I would love if they could live together again, but how/when do i determine this is too much stress on Neville, who is smaller and just wants to be left alone. (I'm sure they are both exhausted, but the antics start up every 5-10 minutes.) Thanks in advance for any advice!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:53 pm

Well, it would have been better to have left them in the large neutral area until they were both worn out.

Are there things in the cage that break up the lines of sight, so that Neville isn't always in view? Like fleece forests, or fleece draped across the corner of the cage? Or you can cut the ends out of a couple of cardboard boxes, and place them at right angles to each other (and not right next to each other). That way, one can hide in a tunnel and not be easily visible to the other.

If all else fails, you can give them a buddy bath -- the shared terror may calm them down. And some people have reported at least temporary success by putting a teeny dab of vanilla on each nose and tail. That way, they both smell the same, and may be less interested in each other.

popcorn fan

Post   » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:14 pm

Thanks! I tried rearranging some things keeping line of sight in mind, we'll see if that helps. They had been in the neutral area over 3 hours and had both fallen asleep but that didnt turn out to be the end of the craziness.