Piggie Safe Rug Material

hwendy12

Post   » Wed May 06, 2020 5:25 pm

Hi guys! I am considering buying some rugs for my piggies' floor time since they don't like wooden floor as much. I was wondering what kind of materials are safe for guinea pigs.

Some candidates I have now are Cotton, Olefin, Polypropylene, Wool, Polyester, and Nylon. I would love to hear what materials you guys have been using for your guinea pigs and what works/what doesn't work.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed May 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Rugs will just get urine-soaking and stinky. I'd recommend just throwing down an old blanket or two that you can run through the washer when necessary.

Mizz P

Post   » Wed May 06, 2020 8:36 pm

I recommend that you be cautious about anything they might want to chew and ingest. My guy loves to chew on the synthetic shag material on an indoor doormat/rug so I have to make sure to put that away before I let him out. I would think the nylon, Olefin, etc., would be worse than finding out someone had nibbled off a corner of something cotton.

We have wooden floors so I made floor mats out of fleece backed with large towels for my guy to run around on. I used fleece from JoAnn Fabrics in the form of those "make your own blanket" kits that are always on sale at the back of the store. I cut a rectangle of the fleece the same size as a big, old beach towel, stitched them together and called it good. They usually last several days before I have to launder them.

Looking forward to hearing what other folks use.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 06, 2020 8:58 pm

I just use a big blanket with a few towels underneath. Nothing fancy.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed May 06, 2020 11:25 pm

I use an old quilted cotton bedspread I found at a thrift store. It's absorbent, I don't have to layer anything, and it washes up nice.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu May 07, 2020 4:57 am

I use a rubber backed turf rug. The boys don't chew it and it doesn't bleed through. When they're done, I wash it down with the hose and let it drip dry.