Sleeping Pigs

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:37 pm

Anyone else get weird joy out of watching their pigs sleep? Or is that just me :)

Especially my rescue pig, who was in a very crummy situation the first year+ of her life - teen mom, itty bitty cage, the works. She pancakes out in her bed, or even favorite spots around the cage, and snoozes with her eyes shut tight. I just love knowing that she’s that comfortable.

My pig-less friends think that’s weird. I think they just don’t understand.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:19 pm

I think especially when there is a close bond with a pet, one can enjoy watching them sleep (it kind of fills your heart). I never get to see my chickens sleep though since they are in the chicken house at night.

IssaG

Post   » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:46 pm

I love seeing the contortions mine get into to on cuddle cups and in the hideyes. One of mine sometimes looks like a brahma bull when she lies down. And it's a special treat when I see eyes closed.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:15 am

Mr Bubbles is the most sound sleeping guinea pig I've ever seen. The first time I saw him sleeping, he looked dead. I opened his cage to check on him. It wasn't until I reached into his house to pet him and scared him half to death that I realized that he was sleeping. I'm used to it now. He curls up when he sleeps. He's the only one of my boys who does that. The others usually lay on their side, stretch out and kick their hind leg out.

Sammy jumps up at the slightest noise because he's a high strung little guy, but Dean and Barry Jenkins lift up their heads to see what is happening and whether or not it's worth getting up for. Guinea pig sleep time is important for them just the same as it is for any living being and how well they sleep is indicate of how well we care for them. If your piggies sleep well, you should take it as a compliment and keep doing what you're doing with them.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:12 pm

I love to watch sleeping pigs. We've had a few who would fall asleep in our laps.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:31 am

Ours sleep like that too Renonvsparky. Nala would flop out like that when I petted her head but only if she was under cover. Chunky also does that some times as well. Chunky and Suzi will only sleep under cover but Piglet just flops down anywhere.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:24 pm

If your piggies sleep well, you should take it as a compliment and keep doing what you're doing with them.

Ours usually jump and kick legs out like dreaming. Does this mean we're not taking care of them properly? You know when your between awake and sleep and you have that dream where you're falling? A few of our girls do that and it scares us everytime they jump.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:47 pm

Mine usually fluffs up a piece of fleece or one of her chenille mitts and makes a pillow. I buy the chenille wash mitts used for cars and I sew them shut so she can’t stick her head inside and get stuck there.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:01 am

Don't worry, Daisymay. I'm sure you are doing very well by your piggies. Just because they don't sleep perfectly still doesn't mean they aren't sleeping peacefully. Some guinea pigs are just jumpy. Sammy is.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:51 am

Interestingly, guinea pigs aren't considered either diurnal or nocturnal; instead, the tend to sleep in relatively short cycles throughout the day and night. Like other individuals, though, their sleep "style" will vary. Most of ours are very light sleepers, easily roused by the sound of the refrigerator door opening or a bag rattling. Our oldest pig, on the other hand, is a very sound sleeper.

Twitching and other movement during sleep is most likely a sign that they're dreaming or simply having normal, involuntary movements that we all engage in to some degree during sleep.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:53 pm

Agree, Sef. I felt bad because I thought Daisy misunderstood me. I never meant to suggest that anyone on here isn't giving their guinea pigs the best care. I hope I cleared that up.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:23 pm

I felt bad because I thought Daisy misunderstood me.
Nope, didn't misunderstand you! Well not really, I have always wondered why my pigs never relax when asleep and are always having dreams. It is the cutest thing to watch, twitching legs, mouth, eyes, it's like someone is chasing them. Then they jump in their sleep which makes me jump and hence awake piggy and the stink eye!

Our kids were like that. Watching them sleep and they would have little twitches, it was adorable to watch! We have noticed that we too do it. When watching the other sleep we notice twitches. Sorry for misunderstanding Renonvsparky!