Anyone Ordered from KMS Lately?

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:51 pm

I'm happy with my recent orders of KMS pellets and orchard grass.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:10 pm

FWIW, I received my third cut hay and orchard grass and am happy with the shipping speed and quality.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Tue May 19, 2020 12:42 pm

Anyone with 3rd cut seeing thorny items in their hay?
The stems are about 1/4 inch thick with stiff thorny bits at intervals on the stem. I've been picking them out before giving the hay to my pigs but am worried that I might miss some especially if the thorns fell off the stem and get mixed in with the rest of the hay.
The hay was purchased earlier this month.

I sent a photo to KMS but they have no idea what it might be. They think it just happened to be a bad batch and have offered to replace it. My concern is potentially getting another bad batch. And then I would have another 45 lbs of hay to dispose of.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Accept the 3rd cut replacement and hope for the best. Request store credit or refund. I also thought about requesting replacement with 2nd cut but am not sure how it'll affect my allergies. I've only gotten 3rd cut from them before.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue May 19, 2020 12:52 pm

I've had that from KMS in the past, but it was quite a long time ago. What about orchard grass?

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue May 19, 2020 1:23 pm

Unless you are allergic or have another problem with it, I highly recommend the bluegrass. (I must have spaced out when posting above, because that's our standard order for many, many years. KMS does not even list orchard grass on the website.) Maybe no more than two or three times have I found anything less than wonderful in the 45 lb box.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 19, 2020 3:10 pm

It can be super difficult to get a completely clean field of hay with no weeds in it. I vaguely remember Linda dealing with this every once and a while. Always important to grab handfuls of hay individually so you can feel if there are any thorns or if anything unusual has made it in. I think a replacement might depend on how much is there (sometimes you don't know unless you look through the whole thing).

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Tue May 19, 2020 5:32 pm

Mmeadow - good to know about the bluegrass. I have heard that some pigs won't eat bluegrass/orchard grass? Have you experienced that with any of your pigs?

I understand it's hard to get a clean field as things blow in, it's just that the weeds happen to be thorny that worries me in the event of mouth or eye pricks. Good idea to see if the rest of the box is similar to what I've seen so far.

Kelsie

Post   » Tue May 19, 2020 5:52 pm

On March 20th I ordered a 15# box of Bluegrass hay from KMS and it was beautiful. My pigs have always liked the Bluegrass. Once in a great while I'll purchase a small bag of Oxbow Timothy hay to give them some variety and although they will eat it you can tell their preference is the Bluegrass.

Last year I had purchased a box of hay from another online seller and it was full of those thorny pieces. They appeared to be foxtails. The company was kind enough to give me a complete replacement box.

If you have the option I would ask KMS to replace your thorny hay with Bluegrass. I bet you will find that your pigs will like it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 19, 2020 8:58 pm

Foxtails rings a bell. I bet that was the weed previously occasionally encountered in the KMS hay.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed May 20, 2020 5:58 pm

Agree with Kelsie. Same experience here. My pigs enjoy a taste of something different -- I sometimes give them Oxbow oat, alfalfa, or one of their blends -- but the bluegrass is their true love. We humans love it too--smells really good and makes me wonder what it'd be like to be a herbivore!

Try the bluegrass!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed May 20, 2020 7:17 pm

Funny. Mine hated bluegrass. All of 'em.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri May 22, 2020 10:08 pm

Mine wouldn't eat bluegrass, either.