Anyone Ordered from KMS Lately?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:22 am

Our other guys seem okay with the pellets and I'll likely keep ordering it, but I still think it was the beginning of the end for our senior with the sensitive gut (my sweet little old man was PTS yesterday; that was rough).

In Dan's email to me, the one complaining about my "inflammatory remarks," he stated that the ingredients haven't changed in years, but he didn't speak to why the pellets in this batch look very different from the last. Length/size of pellet is one thing, but color/smell is another---especially if the pellets seem to cause tummy trouble. The pellets in this batch aren't green (how odd---did they leave out the molasses?), but they're a much lighter color than in the past.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:48 pm

The color of the pellets is dependent on the color of the hay, which is dependent on growing conditions and when the hay is harvested. I wouldn't worry at all about the difference in color.

I also doubt that the molasses would contribute much to the color.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:35 am

If that's the case, why doesn't the color of Oxbow pellets vary by that much? Or for that matter, why wouldn't KMS pellets vary all the time, since it would seem that hay color would be highly inconsistent from year to year. This is the first batch I've gotten in a while that didn't look the same.

Even if that's the reason, would it be too much to ask for Dan to explain that to a concerned customer? "Yes, the harvest was late this year, and therefore the color of hay affected the way this batch of pellets look and smell." Instead, I have to send pictures and still haven't heard back. It's just crappy customer service.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:42 pm

After you posted about your interaction with him I read through their reviews on facebook. A lot of similar complaints followed by Dan/KMS defending their customer service practices. So I guess that's just how they operate. I'm kind of curious to know why they got into this business.

I am glad to hear that the rest of your herd is doing ok, Sef. I hope they give you some extra love this week.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:51 pm

My recent batch is also 10/15/20, a bit greener than the last, and the pigs love it. I have not been smelling them, so cannot comment on any difference.

To the best of my memory, the pellets have always varied a little in size, shape, and color, even back in the old days of Kleenmama.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:55 am

Placed a KMS order a couple of weeks ago and realized the other day that they hadn't sent me an order confirmation or shipping notification. When I went back on their site, I noticed the following message at the top of the site:

TIMOTHY CHOICE PELLETS ON CURRENTLY ON BACK ORDER. ORDERS WILL BE HELD UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED. EXPECTED DELIVERY IS WEEK OF MARCH 29TH.

I hadn't noticed that before, and had emailed Dan who wrote back yesterday to say, "There is a national shortage for the ingredients we use. It is impacting many mills nationally."

Wish I had known that sooner. I wouldn't have waited until I was down to crumbs. :(

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:25 pm

I worried about shortages like this all during the pandemic and the fires out west. Sometimes I have several bags of hay, and several months of pellets and vitamin C. There is dog food in the freezer, and I get the dog meds filled in advance so I have some wiggle room. Just scares the heck out of me that I wouldn't be able to get food or meds for my pets. I'll probably be eating ramen noodles or canned beans, but the pets will be okay!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:16 pm

That is frustrating. I hope you can get something suitable in the meantime.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:49 pm

Same here, Itsazoo. I usually keep things fairly well stocked, so this was my bad.

Just got an email that the KMS pellets have shipped---whew. Hopefully they will arrive soon. I have been mixing the last of the KMS with Oxbow, which works but isn't ideal as one of our boys doesn't like them.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:20 pm

Glad to hear the pellets are on the way! I’ve never ordered from KMS, but they have good reviews so I hope they can get on top of things and keep the company going.