Advantage question

StormyPiggies

Post   » Mon May 14, 2012 9:07 am

Hello,

I was wondering if you had any advise for me. When I take my piggies to the vet, the treatment for parasites they get (lice, etc) usually consists of 3 injections, given 2 weeks apart. I only take them to receive this treatment once a year, since they are strictly kept indoors, and have no contact with other piggies.

Last week, I was talking to a vet technician from a different animal hospital, and she told me that they treat guinea pigs with Advantage, and that it's recommended that they get treated every month.

I am tempted to try the Advantage treatment, but don't want to risk it. I have a lot of trust in my current vet, so maybe there is a good reason why they do the injections at her hospital.

Any suggestions or advise will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Aertyn

Post   » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

Unless they actually have mites/lice or other parasites they shouldn't be given those treatments. They really aren't meant for use on guinea pigs...I'd worry about the build-up of toxicity tbh if used like that.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon May 14, 2012 9:36 am

I don't regularly treat mine for parasites. If your pigs are kept indoors, there's no reason for regular treatment (e.g., yearly) -- I'd only treat them when there's a problem. And I wouldn't give Advantage on a monthly basis, either.

Go to www.guinealynx.info, click on the Index button, and browse through the article listings there. You'll find ones on mites, lice, fleas, parasites, ivermectin, fungus, etc. -- all of which you could use to treat your pigs when they need it, not on a preventative basis.

Vets need to stay in business, so they like repeat customers. My vet wants me to bring my dog in for checkups way more often than I take myself to my internist for checkups. Your vet is overtreating your pigs, in my opinion.

StormyPiggies

Post   » Mon May 14, 2012 10:09 am

I remember when adopted our first 2, I took them to the vet, and she examined them and told me they had lice, so that's why she gave them the injection treatment.

Then we adopted our third, and he had lice too, so they all had the treatment.

They haven't had it since then (about a year now), and don't seem to be scratching excessively. Their fur looks very healthy too.

So maybe it's not necessary to do the preventative treatment?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon May 14, 2012 10:45 am

It's absolutely not necessary to do any prevention. If your pigs are in your house and not exposed to other pigs, there's no way for them to get lice. Mites they pretty much have all the time, but their immune systems usually keep them in check. Fleas you'd be able to see.

It really irritates me that vets, and the veterinary lobby, push prevention and immunization that isn't needed. In Texas, we have to have our dogs immunized for rabies every three years, and the reason given is that so many people don't immunize their dogs at all. What the hell? How does overmedicating my dog, who's already protected against rabies, affect the spread of rabies at all? The duration of immunity is at least seven years, and probably longer, but we're required to revaccinate every three years? It's ridiculous.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 14, 2012 11:26 am

Ivermectin given as an injection, is not as effective on lice as it is given topically.

www.guinealynx.info/.html
www.guinealynx.info/_ivermectin.html

hh2269

Post   » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:21 pm

I have treated my piggies with topical ivermectin x4. Also given lice and fungal baths. Bleached/water/vinegar the cage/accessories/supplies. Washed all fleece. I can still see things on the hair shafts and the base of the shafts that are grayish and seemingly disappear when I separate the hair doing inspections for cuts or scabs. I’m wondering how long do I have to wait (if at all) to repeat the ivermectin topical treatment? ( I’m thinking after I have read many posts and forums that I may not have gotten the exact dosage. (Possibly less and I feel that may have been the reason that they’re still a tiny bit itchy)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:12 am

You should start your own medical thread vs. adding onto this one.

What do you mean by "Ivermectin x4"? What is "x4"? To know if you have been dosing correctly, we would need to know the weight of each guinea pig and the type/strength of Ivermectin being used. See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:31 am

What you describe sounds like fur mites that attach eggs to the hair follicle. Sometimes you can see them move. There is a picture in the medical and care guide, here is a link: https://www.guinealynx.info/furmites.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:35 am

I also meant to add that Ivermectin is typically given 3 times, dosed 7 days apart. Sometimes an additional dose - or even another full round - is needed for more stubborn cases of mites or lice.