Pododermatitis (Bumblefoot) and Osteomyelitis X-rays

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue May 06, 2003 11:09 pm

With untreated or chronic pododermatitis cases, this foot infection will spread to the bone. This causes severe pain and the infection is very difficult to cure once the bones have been affected.

Below are links to xrays of 2 of my rescues who came to CCRR with advanced pododermatitis (foot infection) and osteomyelitis (bone infection).

The soft tissue swelling (their feet/legs) is roughly outlined. I also circled the areas of "spidery" white density which is not normal bone (it is the infection and associated changes). Osteomyelitis needs long-term antibiotic treatment (usually Baytril or another heavy-duty fluoroquinolone drug) and treatment of the causative agent(s). "Cyndi" (a 4 year old Red/White American sow) was so severely affected that even after months of treatment, the infected limb (the left front) was amputated on the humerus (upper arm bone). She continues to do well without the infected, ulcerated leg!
Henri was a 2 year old Red/White American boar and recovered well from the foot infection, but he did have an old fracture at the ankle joint that is visible in the xrays as well. His foot was healed in a permanent 45-degree angle (outwards), but he died from unrelated problems about a year later.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 8:57 am

Are you interested in sending the photos to me so I can display a larger resolution (or at least put up a link to it)? I think Yahoo has size limitations and the bigger they are, the more easily one can see the problem areas.
[edit -- I am displaying the pics Josephine sent]

Last edited by Lynx on Thu May 08, 2003 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed May 07, 2003 9:42 am

Sure. Will do.