Baytril (enrofloxacin) Primer

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:58 pm

Yes, I would love it if they would listen to me on that. He didn't want to give it at all. They're really set in their ways.

To make matters worse, their vet said that you could give the Benebac with the Baytril. So that's what they're doing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:06 pm

Logically one would think giving it a few hours before or after would be more effective. I do think a product like Benebac could be given several times during the day with no ill effects. Something like using acidophilous -- you can't really overdose -- it just passes through you. One only hopes some sticks.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:44 pm

That's what I do with Billy Bob. He gets some Probiotin about 2 hours after the Bactrim, and then when I am soaking his feet I keep him busy by hand-feeding him blueberries with acidophilous powder sprinkled in them. Oh no, he's not spoiled at all.

But my parents are from the old school of rodent-keeping. They usually pack the antibiotic right into some pina colada yogurt. They give pineapple for G.I. Stasis and Pumpkin for diarrhea. *sigh*

The only reason their bunny is getting benebac this time is because I was the one who took her to the vet. They fought me on it, though.

Still, although they do lose some to G.I. problems, many of their rabbits have lived to a ripe old age.

Pamela Hammond

Post   » Tue May 13, 2003 9:39 am

Morris was on baytril for about 8 days, when he suddenly went from a charming, docile pet to a psychotic animal. He was hypersensitive to touch and would race around his cage, dig wildly into the corners, crash into his toys, pull the water bottle out, and then jump straight up trying to escape his box. He nearly did, and it's about 12-14 inches high. I put the cover on his box, and that seemed to calm him down a little, and we're now off the drug and waiting for him to come down. Yes, baytril will cause severe reactions, even in a g. pig! Good news--he did not bite, but he nearly had a heart attack and so did I.

pinta

Post   » Tue May 13, 2003 3:03 pm

Has he been treated for mites? When their system is stressed, mites lying dormant can flare up resulting in that kind of behavior. Extreme, yes, but not unheard of. I have never heard of that reaction to Baytril. Pigs that can't tolerate Baytril stop eating and appear ill, usually lethargic.

Pamela Hammond

Post   » Tue May 13, 2003 3:47 pm

Mites, eh? Well, worth a check--thanks! Poor Morris.

Leinani

Post   » Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:11 pm

I'm so sorry I've never come across this thread before. Rum Tum was just prescribed the injectible Baytril--I believe it's once every 24 hours for 5 days.

Is there something wrong with this? Should I give it to him orally instead?

I could really use the advice, this is my first sick pig in years of being a slave and I'm a little worried.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:04 pm

Yes, baytril is not supposed to be given solely as an injection. www.guinealynx.info/medications.html#baytril

Leinani

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:42 am

Thanks, I had already visited that site.

What else can I do? I really don't want to lose Rum Tum.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:25 am

Was there any reason you couldn't give the baytril orally?

Leinani

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:02 pm

No, that's basically what I wanted to know. It doesn't really say how to do that, do I just take out the needle?

Sorry, I need step by step directions. I'm actually not the one who is treating him. I am on another island and my parents are caring for him for me. Being that I've never had a sick pig before I really don't know if I take out the needle or put the Baytril in another syringe.

Thanks for the help.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:49 pm

Never mind! Answered my own question.