Will medical

MidWildAnubis

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:24 am

Hi there!
I have an old man who is around 5.
Lately he’s lost almost 2 ounces in a week and he paws at his mouth every once in a while when eating. I took him to the vet and the only recommendation she had was to try filing his back teeth. She checked his teeth by feeling them through his cheek and he didn’t like that so she thought there might be irritation, but last night I checked it myself and he didn’t care. I’m terrified that I’m going to put him through the filing and it won’t help and he’ll have gone through it for nothing. The vet I’m going to is one of the best in the area and one of the only exotic vets so I know she knows her stuff, but Will and his little brother Ollie mean the world to me and the thought of putting him through unnecessary pain is freaking me out.
His appointment is tomorrow to get it done and part of me just wants to cancel but I don’t know if I should. Anyone have any advice?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:16 pm

If he's not eating well and losing weight, a dental problem is one of the first things to rule out. Pawing at his mouth is also symptomatic of teeth issues. The best way to inspect back teeth is with light sedation. They will give him a whiff of gas to put him under so that they can get a good look at his teeth and make sure his tongue is not entrapped while checking for spurs and inflammation, etc. Trimming and filing molars is not a very invasive procedure and fairly low risk when done by an experienced veterinarian. A full set of head/dental xrays may be helpful if the vets spots something problematic with his jaw or roots, or suspects an abscess.

Your vet can give Will Metacam to use afterwards if there is any residual discomfort from either the procedure itself or from what underlying issue might be going on with his teeth.

More info on dental problems can be found here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

Good luck! I hope the appointment goes well.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:00 am

If the vet is an experienced exotics vet, keep your appointment. Sef is correct, they will use light sedation, they will probably swab the mouth and check teeth, gums, and lower jaw movement. This is a pretty common procedure with few risks. Best of luck at the appointment.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:03 am

Yes, good luck! Let us know how he does.

She checked his teeth by feeling them through his cheek ...

I do not recall any member describing having their guinea pig's teeth checked this way.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:03 pm

Not only do you not recall that, Lynx, it can't be done. What a crock of you-know-what!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:38 pm

That was my attempt at a "kind" way of saying he didn't know what he was doing.