Mammary Mass (on Guinea pig named Monkey)

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:44 pm

I'm currently boarding a guinea pig named Monkey who was adopted from us about 5 years ago. He now has a mammary mass and the owners have stated that the only vet care he will get will be for a "peaceful death". They'd like to re-home him but it's unlikely to happen with a mass like this.
I contacted my vet (via email with a photo of mass) and he said that it looks ulcerated already and at least needs antiseptic wipes. He thought the guinea pig could be comfortable for a while as is. Surgery to remove this is $800-$1000. I'm no longer rescuing so don't have a vet fund built up.

I'm considering my options. I'd like to get this piggy better care. Has anyone left the masses without surgery? I'm wondering what life for him would be like and for how long. $1000 for surgery for a piggy that's not mine is a lot, but I want to do what's right for this piggy. He was one of the last ones adopted from me.
Thanks

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:08 pm

Monkey also has a good size hard lump on his side - about an inch big. I don't know if that's related to the mammary mass or not. I've heard most of the mammary masses are benign, but I'm wondering if this second mass means it has metastasized of if it's just a coincidence?
Thought?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:46 pm

Could be a metastasis. If a biopsy isn't too expensive, it would tell you whether it is cancer and if it has spread. That would then answer your question about whether to have the mammary mass removed.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:20 am

Thanks. Probably a good idea.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:56 am

I can only say the surgery sounds pretty expensive. I wish the owner was in a position to take care of their own guinea pig.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:02 pm

I totally agree Lynx. I'm refraining from adding in my feelings on the matter.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:40 pm

Well I got some great news today for Monkey. The owners are going to surrender him to me, plus pay most of the cost of the surgery! I found another vet in the area who has an exotic practice and can do it for $550-650 - much better than the $800-$1000. I can't get him in until September but at least things are looking up for him

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:13 pm

Oh, that is very encouraging news! I hope all goes well with the surgery and a speedy recovery for the little guy. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:54 pm

Oh, that is encouraging news indeed! I am glad they changed their minds about paying for the surgery for the pet they've had for so long. Your situation has changed and expecting you to cover all the costs is not reasonable. Glad to hear you found a more reasonable vet.