Blood in pee, UTI/IC/cryst/tumor

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:20 pm

"She is at 1060 in the morning now. Her Metacam dosage is around .25ml (dog Metacam) per day."

This is the standard 1.5mg/ml suspension, right? Good pain management is going to be so important. Are you giving her half of the 0.25ml in the a.m. and the other half later in the day, or all at once? I would talk to your vet, but it may be more effective to do 0.13ml or so early in the day and then another 0.13ml in the evening to help give her consistent pain relief throughout the day. She needs to stay well-hydrated on it, though, as NSAIDs are hard on the kidneys.

Do continue to monitor and make sure she is urinating.

Keeping fingers crossed for the best possible outcome.

alex117

Post   » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:34 pm

At that time, I am giving her .25ml of Metacam twice a day.
Currently, she has a lot of gas on her tummy, she will fart some of it out if I continue massaging her tummy (she will fart, poop, and pee still). But I am not sure if I should go back to ER today.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:22 am

I would continue to do some massaging as needed. The pain medication is important. You are the best person to decide if you should go to the ER since you know her and are with her.

alex117

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:41 pm

Went to ER last night, and did an X-ray, the stone isn't moving but there is some gas in her GI. ER doctor said her situation is stable and her gas should be manageable through pain medication, thus she is not qualified for emergency surgery still but we did inject some fuild to her and gave her one shot of Buprenorphine. At home, she is currently having 0.25 mL Metacam(1.5 ml/g) twice a day, and gabapentin 0.1 ml every 8 hours.

So far she is able to pee and with massage, she will produce a decent among of soft poop out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:32 pm

Hoping the surgery goes okay.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:48 pm

Has the vet told you anything about relieving the gas? Mine recommends simethicone, baby drops, and I had good results with my previous pig. I know others on the forum didn’t have the same results. It took a couple days but she was much more comfortable.

alex117

Post   » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:22 pm

Yea, i have given simethicone before going to ER, she is able to fart.
The problem that i am seeing right now is that when she urinates she cant get a strong stream,and she seems to try hard to urine now but she indeed can urine. I hope it is still a good sign. Her surgery is scheduled 16 hours from now.

alex117

Post   » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:13 pm

13 hours before surgery, ball can still pee with effort, poop when I massage her tummy, and accept my force-feeding (critical care and water). However, she doesn't want to move and eat hay on her own and seems pretty depressed. Sometimes she will have some labored breathing which should be associated with her pain, when her breathing rate increase, she will be placed into the oxygen room for 45 minutes (90% o2, 1L/min).

She is taking simethicone, buprenorphine, Metacam, and gabapentin in a high dose, in terms of pain management, I think there is not much I can offer.

I really hope she can make it and hope stone is her only trouble, hard to believe a 5mm stone can knock her like this. (I know it is very painful, but I thought pigs who had stones will still want to move, it just they will scream when urinate.)

How are post-ops management looks like? Will they feel immediately better and willing to move more or the wound will cause them too much pain?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:08 pm

You will find lots of advice here and on the links to further info by Talishan for post op pain management. I highly recommend you read everything closely:

https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:20 pm

"I thought pigs who had stones will still want to move, it just they will scream when urinate."

No. Very often they will become depressed, won't eat, do not want to move around or engage in their surroundings. Stones are extremely painful. Ditto reading Talishan's page on pain management.

alex117

Post   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:13 pm

Ball has just finished her surgery. I don't know if it is a good news or a bad news, to me it is a bad news.

Turns out there is no stone in the bladder which is why the first 3 x-rays didn't reveal it. What we are seeing is inflammation in her bladder, some sand (sludge), and some blood clot. The doctor did flush her bladder and clean up the mucus that she can see. And I guess it is because the sand, mucus, and blood clot make it looks like a stone in her ultrasound.

With this, we are pretty sure she is having an IC. And I don't know what we can do about it, because she is having 0.25 mL of dog Metacam twice a day, and we cannot manage the inflammation.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:22 pm

I would want to really review diet. Sludge generally points to too much calcium in the diet, and that grit can cause chronic inflammation, bleeding, and pain.

Can you remind us what she is being fed (including pellets), in what amounts, and how often?

What is her water intake like?

Would it be possible to increase her activity level in order to help avoid sediment from forming in the bladder?