Squeaks recovery after spay

alissarogers

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:14 pm

Hi— any advise I appreciate. I will provide Squeak’s history:
In April 2022 Squeak developed an infected nipple and was treated with oral antibiotics and a pain medication and scheduled for an ultrasound the following week. The ultras sound identified a 3mm cyst on her ovary. The plan to have her spayed was made after she completed the medication. The infected nipple healed nicely. On the day of her spay after I dropped her off I received a call saying she was too healthy and let’s re-ultra sound her in 3 months and go from there.

All was fine until early June and she had blood in her urine. She had an ultra sound and a urinalysis which was negative. The cyst remained on her ovary no change in size. She was treated with antibiotics and a plan for spaying her was made.

She had her spay done on June 21 at 4:30 pm. The surgery went well and she stayed the night for close monitoring. The next morning she had a fever of 105 and was kept at the vet until Thursday at which time her fever had come down and I felt I could care for her at home.

Thursday before I picked her up she was spotting red blood in her urine. It subsided by Friday and has been fine until today.

Today June 27, she has had some bleeding and I do not feel it is related to her bladder. She went to the vet and they could not find anything wrong. No fever, staples looked ok. No signs of infection.

Throughout this ordeal I have been syringe feeding between 3-5 hours depending on how much she will take. She has been very slow to eat on her own. Preferring grass and cucumber. Some hay and some pellets.

She remains on baytril Thru Wednesday and Meloxicam Thru the weekend.

She gets her staples out Thursday.

One important note is that this morning when it was still dark I got her hay out and she got excited and stretched to try and get on top of a tunnel. I am 90% sure the bleeding started after that. It has lightened throughout the day.
The vet felt she may have stretched a ligament that is tied during the surgery but of course not 100% sure.

Of course this is very stressful. I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions.

I love Squeal dearly. I felt yesterday we had rounded a corner and then today with the bleeding and poor appetite. Thank you for reading and providing any advice.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:08 am

I am sorry she is having a difficult time. You did a great job laying out the details. I can't answer all your questions - don't have a medical background - but will draw on what I have observed over the years on the site. I've thrown out a lot of information, skip over any pages you think don't apply.

How old is she? Did she have an abdominal spay with sutures on top? I believe for the abdominal wall beneath, the options are gluing and dissolvable sutures. Were both ovaries and the entire uterus removed? Some vets will leave the uterus. An infection of the uterus is called pyometra and generally requires the removal of the uterus. Blood from the uterus is another possibility if you are now confident it is not urinary blood. More on blood in urine below.

My guinea pig's completely spay some years back:
https://www.guinealynx.info/spay.html

It sounds like a spay was suggested due to the incidental finding of an ovarian cyst.
https://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html

A mammary tumor (which can often present as an infected nipple) is a separate issue. It sounds like this may not have been your particular initial problem.
https://www.guinealynx.info/tumor_mammary.html

Extensive advice on post op care (you are successfully several days past the most critical period):
https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

Blood in urine is indeed pretty universally a urinary issue. If stones (an xray is required) or another cause are not found, it can be an irritation of the bladder that needs to be managed with pain medication (it is usually accompanied by pain). In almost all urinary tract issues pain is involved.

Are there any signs of pain when urinating? Has the vet considered whether there was any involvement of the urinary tract during the spay that might cause the bleeding? With a traditional spay, there is a uterine stump that remains. Perhaps that is not healing over completely? This would not likely cause the perception of blood in urine but could be a separate source of blood.

https://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html

Interstitial cystitis:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=21

I can say with a successful spay, her appetite should be back and she should be able to eat okay and I don't think there would be bleeding a week later.

alissarogers

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:35 am

Hi—
Thank you for your reply. Every time Squeak goes to the vet she see’s a different vet. Yesterday I asked if the uterus was removed and was told yes. I guess the next step is going to be asking for an x-ray as she still has some bright red blood in her urine this morning. She did start off with eating some veggies on her own and would only eat a little of the syringe.

She truly hates going to the vet and I will see if it is possible to schedule an x-ray when she gets her staples out. She currently is not acting like she has pain. She also doesn’t seem to be straining or acting different when she urinates.

Yesterday i felt the blood was not urine related and today I have no idea. By the end of yesterday her urine was clear but this morning there is red blood when she urinates so I really feel unsure of everything. It is extremely hard to get into the vet. I am reluctant to leave her there for 8-10 hours waiting her turn for attention.

Thank you for your response.

Squeak is about 1 and 1/2 years old. She has staples in her abdomen. The incision is about 2-3 inches. If she has sutures they must be dissolvable under the staples.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:05 pm

Do keep us updated on how she is doing. It can be difficult to figure out the cause of the bleeding. Perhaps asking the vet about possible causes will suggest another test or different avenue to look at.

A sterile urine sample can be drawn directly from the bladder (performing a cystocentesis) to determine if blood is present there. Honing in on where she is bleeding from would help immeasurably.

alissarogers

Post   » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:09 am

Squeak now has diarrhea. I spoke to the vet and we have stopped the Baytril and hoping it clears up. She is eating a little on her own and syringe feeding as well. I hope the diarrhea is better tomorrow. I know how dangerous this can be.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:25 am

Is it severe diarrhea? What I have to offer is here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

I am hoping that clears up.

alissarogers

Post   » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:08 pm

Hi— the diarrhea cleared up over night and her poops are correct shape and a tiny soft but very better than yesterday. She is also eating in her own and would not take the syringe. But thankful she is eating in her own. She gets her staples out tomorrow.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:25 pm

That sounds encouraging! Good luck at the appointment tomorrow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:15 pm

Ditto Sef! Great to hear it has cleared up! Let us know how the appointment goes.

alissarogers

Post   » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:04 pm

Hi— Squeak did well with the staple removal. She is eating on her own and refuses the syringe feeding. I will keep weighing her daily and offering the syringe 2-3 times just in case I can get her to eat it. But I’m thankful she is eating on her own. I sure had no idea how hard the recovery could be. I pray she continues to recover.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:31 pm

Are you still seeing blood or is that resolving too?

alissarogers

Post   » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:24 am

Hi— I haven’t seen any blood and I pray it is resolved. Squeak did really well today eating on her own. I hope she has a restful night and more good eating tomorrow. Thank you!