Squeaks recovery after spay

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:02 am

That is encouraging. I hope it is the last you see of any blood too!

alissarogers

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:48 pm

Squeak has blood in her urine. I was lucky to scheduled a vet appointment at 1 pm. Should I ask for an X-ray for kidney stones? Squeak has a good appetite.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:55 pm

Bladder stones or sludge is more likely. An x-ray will show that.

Good luck and please let us know how the visit goes.

alissarogers

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:21 pm

Hi— the X-ray was negative for stones. We are trying a different antibiotic and meloxciam. Follow up Friday to see how she is doing and a tentative ultra sound scheduled for Monday if needed. The vet thinks it’s a urinary tract infection that isn’t getting healed enough and comes back.
I just want Squeak to get better. It’s amazing how sick she was after surgery and how well she is now. Luckily the vet I saw today participated in Squeak’s surgery so she knew Squeak. I felt like she was really vested into trying to help figure this out.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:54 pm

Well, at least it's not stones but I know how frustrating it can be when trying to figure out what the actual cause is. Which antibiotics has she been on for UTI, and which one is she on now?

alissarogers

Post   » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:37 pm

Hi— she has been on baytril about 3 different times and now she is on doxycycline for the next 3 weeks. She doesn’t like the taste but I will manage. I really hope this solves the problem. I’m thankful she is eating.

alissarogers

Post   » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:31 pm

Squeak sometimes has blood in her urine and sometimes not. She is scheduled for an ultra sound Monday and they will likely do a urinalysis and look for white blood cells and crystals. In the meantime Squeak is eating good and will stay on her medications.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:22 am

I hope the ultrasound gives you more answers.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:36 pm

Glad she is eating. Let us know what you find out on Monday.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:41 pm

Ditto Sef.

This is a long shot but this is starting to sound a bit like interstitial cystitis to me.

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... p?f=3&t=21

For more info, use the search feature for "interstitial" or "interstitial cystitis". There are tons of threads about, essentially, not-otherwise-explainable-blood-in-urine.

Good luck tomorrow.

alissarogers

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:06 pm

The blood in her urine stopped for 4 days but now Squeak still has blood in her urine agai. Ultra sound is now Monday July 18. She seems to have a good appetite. She is having a lot of fur loss, when I brush and pet her. I did treat her for mites yesterday. Not 100% sure she has them but can’t explain her itchiness and fur loss.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:17 pm

Sometimes mites can get the upper hand when a guinea pig has another illness. Glad you chose to do so.