should i be concerned?

lilsqueaky

Post   » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:03 pm

i just took in two 2 year old guineas and one of them, Brian, has some black stuff on the fur around his butt and it is kind of yellow in the center of that. I'm not sure if this is something to be concerned about. I never experienced this with my previous (female) guineas, and the other one appears to be fine. I can't really get them to the vet right now because they are still adjusting as I got them two days ago and are very scared of me right now. Which also means it would be hard to simply try and clean his butt off.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:31 pm

Hard to say without seeing it. Can you post a clear photo? Any itching/scratching or hair loss with it?

lilsqueaky

Post   » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:07 pm

He isn't itching or scratching that I have noticed and it doesn't appear that he is losing hair. He seems pretty healthy otherwise (today is only the second day I have had him) so I'm not sure I would notice any behavioral changes as they are both quite timid around me right now since they are readjusting to their new home. I have a couple of pictures but I can't figure out how to post them?

lilsqueaky

Post   » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:10 pm

Also, I switched to fleece liners for these guineas, I think their pee is showing up a brownish color on the liners, not sure if that could just be oxidization or a bladder issue? As I said I have never used fleece liners before so I am not sure what it should look like.

lilsqueaky

Post   » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:31 pm

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:01 pm

Looks like a dirty butt to me. Bathe his rear end in a mild shampoo (Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo works very well for guinea pigs), and if it doesn't clean it up, then post some clear, close-up pictures and we'll see if we can identify a problem.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:14 pm

Yes. Looks like a dirty grease gland. Small drop of Dawn Dishwashing liquid can work, too (rinse well) or a bit of extra virgin cold-compressed coconut oil that you can rub in and break up the bits of grease and wipe clean.