Ovarian cysts

Svetoslav

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:19 pm

Hello again guys and gals,

My guineapig family needs your help and valuable opinion once again. After guineapig dad beated fungis (https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/view ... =2&t=77840) and after junior suffered a hay poke in the eye (https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/view ... =2&t=78041), now my female guineapig is sick.

Here's a brief of what I think should be considered in the situation:
* She's almost 5 years old
* No history of previous illness
* Gave birth in August 2020 (with no issues at all)
* Weighted 1180 gr on 19 March 2021, now she weights 1080 gr (lost 100 gr) measured on 5 April 2022 (1 year later)
* Her body is now pear shaped, and I think most of her weight is in the rear
* Nipples were crusty at some point (before a month or so), but no longer I believe
* Significant hair loss. First noticed on the tummy, which is completely bald now. From 2 weeks there is a very large bald spot on top rear left side. Photos attached.
* She has good appetite and is relatively active, but not in aggressive way. She lives alone as the other 2 guineapigs are non-neutered males (her boyfriend and son).
* Her stool looks healthy. We give our guineapigs a lot of hay and veggies, no packed food at all. Her urine is a little bit cloudy and yellowish. No unusual smells.

Of course, I did my homework, and I suspect ovarian cysts (with very huge percent certainty). We have no good exotic vets around, but I may try to talk to an experienced cat/dog vet, at least to take a x-ray or ultrasound to confirm. My main concerns are as follows:
* The guineapig is 5 years old, probably not a good candidate for surgery, especially combined with the lack of good exotic VETs
* I've read there are some hormone therapies that may help. What are the medications and the prescribed doses? Will they help shrink the cysts, are there any side effects, how often the medication must be given?
* I've read about fluid removal with syringe. What are the risks? Of course, I won't do it on my own, but I may ask the best VET we know to do it.

Below I share some pictures of her condition. I really hope that she is not in much pain, and that we will find a way to relieve her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:30 pm

Have you started hand feeding her to help her maintain her weight?

Besides the hair loss, any other signs of ovarian cysts? list on this page:
https://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html

Any behavior changes or crusty nipples? Looks like hair loss on the back. Is the hair thinning on the sides too?

Let me know if I can add your pictures permanently to your topic for future readers.

Svetoslav

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:43 am

As always, you are free to archive any photos. As marked in my first post, she has good appetite, so no hand feeding needed. Hair is thinner on the sides, but not that noticeably. This bald spot on the back and the completely bald tummy are the most noticeable. Nipples were crusty and then got back to normal.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:57 am

Thanks. I see you have contributed many of your pics! They will be helpful to future readers.

This does sound like ovarian cysts. I think the page I linked to mentions some of the hormonal treatments.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:19 am

Is she at all itchy or scratchy? Some of that looks like it may be fungal.

You can try an antifungal cream (look for one with miconazole or clotrimazole in it) on at least the spot on her back. See if it helps.

Svetoslav

Post   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:00 am

Thanks for the recommendation. No itching or scratching at all. Also doesn't look like the problems I had before with guineapig fungi. Moreover, the other 2 males get in contact with her from time to time and have no issues at all. I have a cream with miconazole, and I wonder if doing it just prevantively may have some negative impacts.

My main concern is how to shrink the cysts, I am trying to find the correct medication/dosage and a VET that can drain part of what have build up inside.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:02 am

For reference, here are some other causes of hair loss:
https://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html

If you wanted to test the flakey area Talishan is likely referring to as possibly fungal, I do not believe there would be any negative impacts (unless too much was applied and she or another guinea pig licked it off).

Tracy

Post   » Sat May 07, 2022 6:41 pm

Just seeing this thread. My Zuki was diagnosed with cystic ovaries at age 4.5. Not being comfortable with vets here in Philly (for a spay), I did research about hormone injections. One doctor was willing to give Cystorelin injections, which helped Zuki grow her hair back. My understanding is Lupron may help also but is expensive, and the implants used in ferrets don't work in guinea pigs.

Zuki' thread is here: http://www.guinealynx.com/forums/viewto ... df932b2bc4 At some point the thread shifts to her calcium/urinary issues and weight loss, but overall the hormones helped her. I had trouble scheduling repeat doses a year later, but somehow during the winter she grew hair back on her own and still has it. I don't think her cystic ovaries resolved but am grateful to be able to focus on her other issues. Good luck with your gal!