Cystitis diagnosis - help!

flean

Post   » Mon May 02, 2022 6:27 am

Little update on Hawkes - she is loving life, entirely recovered and seemed the same before the antibiotics (although I'm still giving them to her). Literally no idea what was up if I'm honest. Maybe it'll come back and all make sense?? But I'm enjoying the peace and the happy piggy in the meantime!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon May 02, 2022 6:47 am

Fantastic news!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 02, 2022 7:26 am

That is excellent news! Thanks so much for the update!

flean

Post   » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:27 am

And it's come back! Seems to be linked to her going out on the grass although it never had been before. But she's occasionally very wet and certainly very smelly. Maybe it was a uterine infection, I guess I'm going to go back to vets........

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:38 pm

Sorry to hear it has returned. Do trim her butt hairs too, as it will help keep her dirier and perhaps cut down on the bacterial growth and help a bit with the smell (though antibiotics will be the most effective.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:25 pm

Well darn. :( Hopefully another round of ABs will knock it out.

flean

Post   » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:57 am

Well, vets couldn't really suggest everything as we have realistically been through everything and nothing has worked. Her periods of wetness have come and gone so it's definitely occasional and the vet is sticking with her diagnosis of IC.

Her bum is extremely painful for her at the moment every time she poops (which, as we know, is often) and it looks a little ulcerated. I'm reluctant to take her back to the vets as it deeply stresses her and the opiates they gave her before didn't help (and probably hindered). So I'm going to continue to apply the silver sulfradine and give her a high dose metacam and hope for the best. Also trying not to worry about the fact that her cagemate and sister is actually being nice to her, which does NOT happen in normal circumstances.

Anyway. She's still with us and worrying me terribly!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:24 am

I am sorry you are still struggling with this.

When you say her bum is extremely painful for her and looks a little ulcerated, does this look at all like urine scald?
https://www.guinealynx.info/urine_scald.html

A baby product like Desitin, Balmex, Desinex, or a similar ointment can really provide a good barrier to urine scald. And painful pooping, I take it she has had xrays and they have not revealed stones?

flean

Post   » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:05 am

Sadly it looks way worse than urine scald or indeed how it has looked previously... Pictures would be pretty gross to share, I am on the verge of taking her to the vet in case some antibiotics might help, but it's a really hard decision as she has literally no tolerance for stress, and frequently stops eating just because I've taken her to the vet. At present she is still eating, drinking and moving around normally, although yelping in pain frequently :( :( :(

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:33 pm

I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but my daughter has had good results with cystease for IC. Might be worth a try, if you haven't already.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:38 pm

Call the vet and see if a triple antibiotic ointment might help. If she has a bacterial skin infection, it may help to keep things under control. One would apply it sparingly because some of the antibiotics in that cream should never be taken orally (possibly licked off).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:34 am

Yelping in pain is not good, especially if she's already on a high dose of Metacam (how much?). Ditto either oral or topical antibiotics (with caution) for that skin condition. If you need to take her in, see if your vet could let you come early in the morning before the clinic gets too busy and noisy, or at the end of the day when most everyone else has left. I've had to do that with some of my more skittish guys and it has helped somewhat.