Male Rescue Guinea Pig Chronic URI and Not Eating Hay (Stumped)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 9:30 am

Yes, some of those syringes really are a problem. A human medication was given with this product and I have been using it ever since for dosing ivermectin. Nothing to swell and get stuck! No rubber gasket! I tried to find a source via google but was unsuccessful so don't know how you can get them. From:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... n#p2315343

Have you seen any improvement for the UTI with Bactrim? (trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole) It usually does not affect appetite. Or do you mean URI? (not rereading the whole topic)

Any success with Baytril if a URI? Some vets will "pulse" it -- i.e. a high dose once a week to keep the bacteria knocked out. Has a culture identified the bacteria?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 9:41 am

I wish I knew where to get those. I did have quite a bit of luck with the Baxa 1ml oral syringes, although I haven't bought any in a while. They are made from a tougher plastic, so they are harder for the guinea pig patient to chew (but also a little harder to cut the tip off of), and the O rings seem much more durable and less prone to sticking.

ETA: Oh, look what I found:
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... W4QAvD_BwE

Rynn21

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 4:59 pm

I wish I could edit posts. Wrote it way too late at night. URI* I will try those syringes. Any variant on Amazon?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 9:59 pm

That is perfect, Sef! I have been so impressed with the one gasketless syringe I have. I think it will be used years from now.

Here is another seller of this brand. It appears it is a box of 50 for $35 or so. Seems like they come in different colors (maybe a mix in the box?). Do not know what shipping is. Anyway, I'll add this here:
https://serfinitymedical.com/products/c ... 34w-652583

Rynn21

Post   » Wed May 11, 2022 5:20 am

Thanks.

I’ve decided to take him off the antibiotics. His wiping arm is caked in snot like it always is, and it feels like it’s just making him not want to eat much. His fecal is very light and he does nothing but eat aspen bedding when given the choice when hay is right there. :\ He picks a few strands of hay, then back to aspen or napping. Pellets are still a no go. Romaine is his preferred veggie when given options. Towels are his meal when given medicine outside his enclosure.
Without more tests that we cannot afford right now, we are stumped. One of the tests is a CT scan that can only be done by a clinic that is fairly disliked by pet owners.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 11, 2022 6:51 am

I just read back through all if your posts to see if anything else pops out at me, but I can't think of anything that hasn't already been suggested. I am starting to wonder if there could be something neurological going on with him (which I see that you also wondered about), but it wouldn't explain the discharge.

This discharge has been going on since early 2020? Has it even been cultured?

Can you try growing wheatgrass for him, as a couple if people mentioned, and see how that goes?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 11, 2022 7:35 am

The chewing on non-food items (bedding, towels) is often associated with pain. Not rereading but is he on any pain medication?

Just want to mention that romaine, though modest in calcium, is linked to high calcium pee discharge and is thought to be a problem for guinea pig predisposed to stones (stone formation has a genetic component).

Edit: I reread the topic and there may have been perhaps an open sore in the mouth missed by the vet who did the oral xrays.

The other advice not explored is giving an antihistamine per Talishan's advice. Note also no exploration by the vet of a possible oral fungal issue. Note if there are any problems with the ears as everything in the head can affect pain and eating.

I would grow some fescue in your yard and give fresh grass since it seems to be eaten. Find a fresh grass source you are happy with (I have a field nearby I used to pull fescue from all year, unless snow covered).

Rynn21

Post   » Wed May 11, 2022 6:31 pm

“Romaine is his preferred veggie when given options.” I’ve tried SO many different veggies he ignores. It’s what he prefers. He’s just always been veggie picky.

He was on anti-histamines last month. It didn’t help. He also was on pain meds that didn’t help his behavior.

Yes, he had a culture done. That’s why he was given the strong antibiotics that haven’t been helping.

I can’t grow anything in my yard and don’t trust anything grown locally. Waiting on funds for wheatgrass and some other ideas cause this year has been very bad financially. I can’t unfortunately spend anything more right this moment.

I’ve had two vets get back to me on his x-rays, and the clinic who originally took them saying without sedating him they can’t confirm if their x-rays were completely accurate. So, yay.

I’m just going to wait a few months and see if him being off medications makes him feel better, trying different food he might like. If not, I’ll proceed from there.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 12:05 am

Hoping you make progress. This has to be so frustrating for you.

Rynn21

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 12:48 am

Thank you. It is. I wish he could just tell me what’s wrong. Small animals are not the easiest to diagnose. Will update if anything changes.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 10:07 am

I'm sorry that I don't have any good ideas to offer. I hope he improves soon.

Rynn21

Post   » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:24 pm

He's eating better lately, still a bit picky just not nearly as bad. He feels heavier, which is always good.
I'm wondering though if anyone has had a temporary issue where putting a few drops of baby oil into their ear can lead to them head tilting for a day or so. I noticed his ears were a little dry so I used a dropper with just two small drops yesterday, rubbed it into his ear, and cleaned it a bit. Today he's head tilting (not the entire time). It seems too much of a coincidence to be an ear infection and no sign of mites.