Protozoa in Bladder/Urine and Metronidazole

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun May 15, 2022 4:30 pm

Soak her in a warm bath. The poop will quickly soften and come off.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 15, 2022 4:39 pm

Yes, the "spa treatment" should make it easy!

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Mon May 16, 2022 1:37 pm

I will leave her soaking for longer today and see if that makes a difference. It is really becoming quite a mess!

And on top of that (waiting for a call back from the vet to get his opinion on her stools, which continue to be very soft and messy), it looks like her tooth is getting close to breaking off again. This is the tooth that broke awhile back and grew back kind of chunky. It got trimmed last week because it was too long but now I notice it has a section (near the top of the picture) where it is very thin (might be a bit hard to see in the photo, but it almost looks like the tooth is only half the normal width at the top; there is kind of a diagonal inward part that leaves a gap on one side). Maybe this is a good thing for this more discolored/chunky part to potentially break off?

I am just worried that it might cut or choke her or something if/when it does. Not sure if that is an issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eIJonv ... wVhGb/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Flpagc ... qjiDD/view

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon May 16, 2022 7:40 pm

You might want to try using pine bedding. I know it's not as nice as fleece but it will absorb more of the poo. I had a girl I had to switch back to pine bedding after she got permanent mushy poos following antibiotics. The poos on the fleece just got smeared everywhere.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 16, 2022 10:36 pm

Sounds like pine bedding really worked for you, Catie Cavy. Certainly worth a try.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Wed May 18, 2022 10:19 am

I will have to look into that. I am hopeful maybe her poops are starting to get back in balance-- I saw a few more normal oval ones today (though a bit small). Will have to keep monitoring it. Also her tooth seemed to break off without incident so will be watching how that grows back. A bit concerned she may be starting to lose some weight again but it's very slight at this point so it's more "wait and see."

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Wed May 18, 2022 7:19 pm

Margaret giving me some scares today. In the last 1-2 hours I heard her squeaking in pain more intensely and more often than before. Even in her cage which I rarely heard. I took her out for some syringe feeding and she peed a few times within like 30-40 minutes each with pain/straining, getting up on her haunches, and then after peeing trying to reach down with her mouth to her private parts (with varying levels of success). I gave her a little extra metacam. She is still eating and everything but is having these more frequent bouts of pain.

I am hoping maybe it's just she is trying to pass another one of those weird mucus things (see earlier in the thread) that she passed when she beat the infection the first time. Last time I didn't remember this much pain but since she doesn't have a stone I am not sure what else it could be. I will say the pee has little to no blood visible in it.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Wed May 18, 2022 7:35 pm

I shared two videos of what is happening on my Google drive here. She is also rubbing her parts on the ground more.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vauQq6 ... 60NwE/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vcL7Cb ... b8bIL/view

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 18, 2022 10:42 pm

(sorry I can't see the videos)

I imagine you are continuing to give her pain medication? Let us know if she passes something. I'm sorry she is in such discomfort.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 19, 2022 6:41 am

In that second video, she is lifting her butt when she defecates, and it looks like what's she's doing is reaching down to retrieve a cecal pellet (they eat this type of poop; I imagine you know this, but just in case). I can't hear her vocalize; is it very loud? Does she cry while peeing or while lifting her bottom and reaching her head down?

This could be a long shot, but I wonder if she could have arthritis in her back or neck that is making it very uncomfortable for her to reach those cecals. I do notice that she seems to have a hard time with that. It's just a thought.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Thu May 19, 2022 10:28 pm

It seems to have passed after she passed another one of those grit crystals (similar to earlier in the thread). Now she is back to just lesser pain when peeing. The squeaking was definitely during the peeing rather than the attempted bending, though I agree she was having trouble reaching that area.

Later yesterday night she was acting much more normally (for her current normal anyway) and even her poops stopped being so soft (instead were back to slightly small ovals), but before I took her out for her first feeding I found a large clump of poo (kind of half soft, half not, but in one huge clump) and while she was out and soon after I did not find any poops for awhile. She also dropped another ~20g of weight on average to the 790s (was previously holding around 810s), but not really for lack of eating. Definitely concerning. I also notice her passing a decent amount of gas and just generally having kind of a noisy stomach if I am really listening for it. Been doing some massages just in case -- sometimes that distended bulge she has can feel quite firm, other times not. Mostly concerned about the continued weight loss though at this stage.

EDIT: Also found another such clumpy poo around the same time this evening. Also has a slightly stronger smell. I guess it's better than outright soft poo? Not sure. Not sure if it's a case of too much or too little probiotic either, or something else entirely.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Fri May 20, 2022 7:35 pm

And... on top of all that I noticed on one of her hands the start of some pododermatitis. Will have to figure out how to treat/forestall this before it gets any worse. I have already been soaking her in water every other day or so due to the poop issues. Likely it's on this side due to her weight imbalance potentially.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w7RxSf ... gpgdZ/view