Protozoa in Bladder/Urine and Metronidazole

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:06 pm

Thanks, Lynx! That is a great close-up crop of it. Yeah it looks so yellow-ish and jagged at the moment :(
I hope it grows back ok (and fast enough that it can start balancing the tooth below that got filed last week).

I just worry about her cutting herself or choking on something that breaks or falls off. I am pretty sure now that all that blood from last week must have been from her mouth since I have not really seen any in her urine anymore.

(And those pics were hard to get since I needed two hands to hold her/her mouth open. I put my cell phone in a breast pocket and started a video of me messing with her mouth and then went through it to take screencaps for the pics)

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:24 am

One last thing I noticed a little strange tonight is while I had her out for her medicine and syringe feedings, it sounded like there were some tummy sounds and then some noticeable gas-passing. I guess this is better than it being stored up in there since I don't want her to have bloat, but not sure what is causing this sudden gas (nothing in her diet has changed) that was more audible.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:17 pm

Look over this page too for a better idea of normal regrowth with a series of pictures:
https://www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

If there is enough back and forth from eating, even just one tooth should keep the lower teeth fairly even.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:42 pm

Thanks, Lynx. It does seem to be keeping them even enough for the time being. The regrowth is still coming in (on top) slowly but surely. Looks a bit odd but not too bad.

Main concern recently has been continued possible gas. I do think she has a slightly gassy side. Still eating plenty (and still getting a few syringe feeds), pooping mostly normal. But one side of her belly does look just slightly off to me/lopsided. I am always nervous since I lost her sister to bloat but I do hear Margaret passing some of the gas sometimes but not sure. I've reduced (though have not completely eliminated) her greens intake. She is also getting a bit of probiotics 2-3 times a day. Not sure what else I can do (other than little massages) to make sure it doesn't go into full blown bloat.

She is seeing her vet again 4/18. At that time she might be taken off her antibiotics if her urinary problems are still doing ok. I have not noticed any more blood or even much grit in her urine recently. And no big masses or straining and pain either. So it seems like the UTI is mostly if not completely cleared thankfully. Now mostly worried about the knock-on effects on her stomach or her broken tooth.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:36 pm

Of foods, I think of crucifers sometimes causing gas (can do so in humans, too). Things like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale. They are very nutritious though. More things are cruciferous than I realized. Bad bacteria can cause gas too. Will be good to have the vet evaluate her again.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:34 am

Yeah, the only veggies she has are green leaf lettuce, cilantro, and some times green bell pepper or cucumber.

Even though she is eating and drinking quite well on her own, and getting some syringe feedings, I am worried about the next 10 days until her next appointment. The gas does not seem to be going away in the last few days. My vet is out of town until my 4/18 appointment. I do have one or two "backup" vets I am not as fond of in a pinch, but it's tough for me to gauge if I should be rushing her in there or waiting and seeing. Also wondering if I might eventually have to make the call myself, given my vet is gone, to take her off the antibiotics. He said she would have to be on them for "at least 3 weeks," and today marks three weeks. A lot of her urinary symptoms have been way better lately. That said I understand the risks of taking her off too early and having the infection return stronger.

Just worried I might have to make that calculation. And that's if taking her off the antibiotics would actually help with the gas at all in the first place.

I tried to take some pics of her but I think it's hard to notice the gas on her left (black) side given she is kind of floofy, but here they are anyway. I've been doing the hand massages as well as some time on low intensity massage pad with her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:15 am

If you palpate her (run your hands on her sides, feel her shape), what is it like?

This has a wider explanation of cruciferous vegs:
https://treehozz.com/is-cilantro-cruciferous

The deal with antibiotics and gas is they can both be a benefit and a negative to the gut. I think it depends mostly on the antibiotic. So, indeed, at this point probably better to continue the antibiotic.

A little more that covers the digestive system:
https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:46 pm

Thought I would give another update on Margaret. She has been mostly holding steady the last few days. Weight has been ok-- she is sitting around 880-885 most of the time with occasional dips into the 870s. Still on her antibiotics.

As far as her stomach, I've felt around and done some massaging each time she is out and I am not sure. Most of the time it feels like that left side is a little firmer and bulgier than the right side. I sometimes hear gas, sometimes not. I have been messing around with her veggie portion, alongside the massages, to see if anything changes. She still seems to greatly favor lying on that side. Really not sure if it's gas or something else entirely. I don't think it's a cyst since I have not noticed the hair loss. Also don't think it's an injury or anything since when she has to she runs around the cage (like when excited for food).

Poops have been mixed. Mostly good except today I have seen bouts of quite small ones followed later by larger/mushier masses again. I have still been supplementing with a little critical care 3 times a day (when she gets her medicines) as well as probiotics 2-3 times. Also continuing the struggle of trying to keep her backside clean. Mostly hoping she stays stable through the week as her vet appointment is Monday (4/18) [and the vet is out of town until then].

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:21 pm

Sounds like you are doing a good job managing her issues. How is her pain on peeing doing? Still lots of calcium deposits?

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:31 pm

I have actually heard no more pain while peeing and fairly low on the calcium deposits. So that seems to have mostly cleared up thankfully.

More concerned now with these potential other issues (if there are any) like the alternating quality of poops, possible gas or lump, etc.. I also notice that rarely, maybe once a day, she gets I guess more relaxed and lays way onto her side (more than she had in the past). Maybe this is nothing bad, and I am glad she can somewhat relax since during her infection it seemed like she rarely lied down.

It's very hard for me to tell what could be a sign of a real issue and what is just from me doting on her all the time since this all started. Or maybe just continued effects from medicine or long term effects from just how serious of an infection she had.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:20 am

I think I can see what you're talking about with regard to being a little larger on one side. It looks pronounced in that one photo in particular. Does massage seem to break up the gas pocket?

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:36 pm

Not sure. Sometimes I think I hear her passing more gas with the massages, sometimes not. It hasn't seemed to make a very big difference but it also hasn't gotten any worse thankfully. Not sure what to make of it.