Protozoa in Bladder/Urine and Metronidazole

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:36 pm

Poops are an interesting subject! We had one member who collected tons of photos of poops. I recall some looking as you describe. Not sure of what (if anything) the fold means but I expect food changes, health changes, and medication changes all play a part.

If you are interested in wading into the poop topic, here you go!
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =8&t=68360

p.s. a dark colored poop with a fold in it appears on the first page (there are 11 pages!), identified as a healthy poop.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:47 am

Thanks for the link!

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:35 pm

Noticed a lot of poops today but otherwise normal activity. I did want to post a picture of her poops for any feedback-- they do look different from before I started the treatment. Aside from some of them having the "fold" mentioned before, a lot of them have this lighter color and kind of "textured" looking appearance for lack of a better word. They are normal side and not particularly soft or anything so maybe it isn't a problem, but it does seem to be a slightly larger quantity than before and this different appearance.

(I noticed a potentially similar textured poop in the poop thread but didn't see any resolution on it from the time-- hoping it goes away as she gets further from her last dose (?))

https://imgur.com/a/sHQxUve

^example

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:55 pm

Poop appearance depends a lot on what a pig is eating. Dark green hay produces dark poop, lighter hay or lots of light veggies produces light poop. As long as it's firm and well-shaped, I don't think the color matters much.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:53 pm

Oh, those are beautiful poops!

They are the kind I used to save, dry, shellac and make earrings out of! (yes, this actually happened years ago)

Edit - this was 20 years ago:
[SHOW]

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:22 pm

Way too creative! And each piece of jewelry is unique!

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:07 am

Haha, nice. Thanks for the votes confidence.

The only remaining thing I notice about them that's different is the odor. I never really noticed an odor from any GP poops before but if I get close to these and smell them they smell different. Hard to describe what the odor is in particular.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:20 am

The cecal feces (which look greenish and are eaten for their nutrition - B vitamins, etc.) are very aromatic and softer. It's possible there are trace odors.

Other than that, bacteria can grow on wet butt hairs. Sometimes due to a UTI or incontinence of some kind. Long haired guinea pigs can benefit from a butt trim and more frequent spot cage cleanings, especially if they stay in one area for long periods of time.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:05 pm

Well this is odd timing but I am 90% sure Margaret has gone blind. Her (late) sister went blind at about age 3 and this looks similar. She was looking more nervous last night and sniffing around a lot, not reacting to a flashlight I was waving in her eyes. I know from her sister's experience that they usually adapt pretty quickly. Already today Margaret has been eating and wheeking as normal mostly. I will get her to the vet when I can to confirm.

Hoping she adapts as well as her sister did.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:51 pm

Glad you have experience with blindness in a guinea pig. The trick will be to have staples where she can find them but somehow encourage her to move around and explore. I guess fragrant vegetables might help!

Some info here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html#blindness

Supposedly shining a light into the eye will reflect white in a blind guinea pig and typically red in one that is not blind.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:13 pm

Yeah I have noticed so far she is just staying in about 1/2 of her cage (the half with the food and water, etc.). Unlike Elizabeth, her sister, who had Margaret in there with her, Margaret is alone in her cage. She does have a connected cage with two younger females that "interact" with her through the cage, so maybe their noise and activity will keep her active

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:04 pm

Guinea pigs' eyesight isn't the greatest to begin with, so most manage pretty well with reduced or lost sight. The biggest thing in my experience is not to move anything.

Hide house, food dish, water bottle, hay pile -- whatever setup you have, leave it in place. She needs to know where things are and should be fine as long as they're not moved.