Protozoa in Bladder/Urine and Metronidazole

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:42 pm

Thought I would give a little update on Margaret.

She has been on her heart medicines for about 10 days now. Thankfully, and I'll admit somewhat to my surprise, her crackling in her breathing stopped around last Sunday (after a week on the medicines). I know this could be temporary but she seems to be in much better spirits. Still on all of her medicines and some syringe feeding, but she has started squeaking (in a good way) a little again and comes out to eat on her own pretty well. The only issue is her weight, which was up around the time of her starting this medication (albeit maybe due to a bad reason-- the fluid buildup), is slowly ticking down again. But I am very pleased with how she is doing at the moment.

She is also still having that lopsidedness and might be having some slight trouble with her back left leg. She can still walk fairly briskly when she needs to and stands up on her hindlegs while I am prepping her veggies sometimes, but I also notice that if she is lying down her left leg is quite folded under her, almost crumpled, and she sometimes stumbles/has a hard time getting up from it. Nothing was noted on her xrays so this might just be something she has to deal with. Her poops have generally been ok but occasionally, maybe once or twice a week, she makes some messy soft ones and I have to clean her hands or bottom. I have someone else coming to visit for the weekend and while I of course will keep her on her routine, I hope having another person around won't throw her off.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:02 pm

It sounds like the heart meds are helping her breath and get her energy back. I have a dog on furosemide, enalapril, and Vetmedin. He never had fluid in his lungs, but I noticed after we started the Vetmedin he slept better and seemed to relax more.

I hope you continue to see improvements in how Margaret feels.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:20 am

Sounds like some good progress! Fingers crossed for continued improvement.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:27 am

Yes indeed! Sounds encouraging! I am glad the heart meds seem to be helping. Ditto on hoping for continued improvements. Attitude is important!

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:43 am

Wanted to let you all know some bad news. Margaret was doing fairly well on her heart medications for a few weeks and, despite being on a lot of medicine and syringe food, had a pretty good few weeks. But her condition started to decline the last few days, chest filled up with a lot of fluid again and she started having trouble breathing and a lot of pain when moved. So yesterday I had to make the difficult decision to let her go.

It was a long and difficult struggle but I was always happy whenever she seemed to be rallying from one thing or another. I am still haunted by the events of yesterday but I could hear her pain and saw her condition just worsening quickly. She was my longest lived pig and probably the closest I have ever been to a pet.

I wanted to thank everyone here on the forum for the advice which helped us along and for listening to my anxious, late night posts about her condition.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:57 pm

I'm so sorry you lost her. It's so very hard to euthanize a pet, even when you know it's the right thing to do.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:45 pm

Oh, I am so sorry. I was never able to offer anything useful in the way of advice, but was pulling for you both. I know how very hard this is. You really did do everything you possibly could to give her a good life and good care.

Sending you a gentle hug.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:32 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss, DevoutHaruhisst. You did everything you could for her and she was so loved. Sending healing thoughts your way.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:57 pm

I am so sorry to hear this, DevoutHaruhiist. You provided her the best care and had an able vet. We all want what is best for our pets. And even when it is the right path, euthanasia is still a hard choice. We saw how much you cared about her.

You have all our sympathy.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:53 pm

My condolences. Margaret had such good care with you, and although saying goodbye is difficult, it was the best for her. Take care of yourself.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:59 pm

Thanks, everyone. I hope that the info in this thread for everything Margaret went through will be helpful to the lives of future piggies and pig owners.