Justice

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:37 pm

When try and introduce with Jay they are like 2 lions and lunge at each other teeth snapping. Jay goes for the throat and Justice goes for the eyes.
I am doing in neutral territory and plenty of hay and food but it doesn't help Jay is not eating so she is not interested in the food or hay. Just on attacking Justice and for a 3 month old Justice can hold her own and really gets stuck into Jay. Any suggestions on what to do with these bad girls?

For now seeing as Jay not well have decided to wait a while before going to try again!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:44 pm

There are some great introductions topics in Cavy Chat. I think this page links to some info:
https://www.guinealynx.info/companionship.html

Maybe people will chime in with their favorite introductions topic. Oh, and this! How can I forget it!!
https://www.guinealynx.info/introductions.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:44 am

I have tried and tried to get Jay and Justice together and no matter what I try it ends up with Justice screaming and Jay chasing her around.

I don't know what else to try! They can learn to live alone and say gidday through the barrier. I have enough grey hairs and wrinkles. I always knew this could happen when I got Justice. It was a risk I had to take.

I mean when I got Jay for Joy it failed. Then I got Jersey for Jill it didn't work out. And Jay and Jersey didn't work out. Maybe it is just me?

I have tried for last 6 weeks to no avail. Thinking Jay was lonely and causing her illness and weight lost. But it is like Jay is sadistic as she always goes for the eyes or throat.

Will see how they go separately and may try again. It won't hurt them living alone. I know they are social animals but Jay is just a killer! They can still see and smell each other. I did what I thought was right when I got Justice.

Any advice or suggestions much appreciated. Thanks Lynx for your reply. Happy New Year.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:40 pm

As for suggestions, I can only offer the advice I posted above - but do remember that sometimes they change so attempting reintroductions at 3 or 4 or 5 month intervals might be worthwhile.

I think with the cages quite close together, they will get social benefit.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:36 am

I finally had enough! No matter what I did like 3 barriers and a roof some how Justice would get into Jay's side and I would wake up to 2 bloody piggies.

So I put Jay and Justice into the wooden cages-now Justice is driving me crazy chewing on the wood! And I put Jinx and Jewel into the pens. They are loving it!

My questions are how do I stop Justice chewing wood??? And how old can a piggy be before they can get antibiotics? Justice is 5 months old. My last question is what am I doing wrong? All four piggies are passing blood in urine. They are getting bottled spring water. Drinking normal amount.

None are losing weight, they are eating food except Jay but she is getting hand fed and has since around November 2021. None are straining or squeaking in pain. All 4 look and are behaving normal.

Please help on the wood chewing before I lose what little sanity I have left! Jay was on Bactrim in December and January, the others Justice never, Jewel September and Jinx July. Thanks in advance!

Jay 915grams just over 3, Justice 855g 5 months, Jinx 1050grams and Jewel 1190grams both 5 this month.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:47 am

I don't really have an answer for you on the wood chewing. Can you post a picture? Without knowing how the cages are constructed, it would be hard to know what to suggest. Small pet houses and toys are very often constructed out of wood because rabbits, guinea pigs and rodents like to chew on them. It may be hard to try to discourage that.

As far as the bleeding, I'd consult your veterinarian on that. Without knowing for sure if there is an infection in one or more pigs, you can potentially do more harm than good in giving an antibiotic.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:29 am

Any possibility you could set up another wire cage and have a secure top on it? I know guineapigcages.com has some ideas for tops (basically, long pieces of wire shelving that perhaps hinge and secure to the other side so you can life and pick them up). The bleeding is very concerning. Ditto Sef on consulting with a vet - though I know you have problems with them.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:30 am

I don't think it's bad for guinea pigs to chew wood unless it is painted, stained or treated. In that case, the chemicals may make him sick. As you undoubtedly know, guinea pigs have to chew to keep their teeth from overgrowing. I wouldn't worry about him getting sick or injured just from chewing wood as long as it is plain and untreated. I understand that you don't want him damaging his wooden cage though. The only way I can think of to stop him from chewing the wood is to put a physical barrier on it. Plexiglass is an option. You can also try giving him something to chew on that he might like better. It might take some experimenting with various chew toys. I know Oxbow makes Timothy hay chew sticks. I used to get them at petco, but you could look online for them.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:58 pm

Wood has linseed on it. Done may years ago. All but Justice have tested positive to blood in urine. But just a trace. I think will start Jay and Jinx on Bactrim and watch the other 2. Thank-you Sef, Lynx and Renonvsparky for your replies. Keep you posted on how we go. Have apple branches but won't chew on them. All piggies are girls.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:31 pm

This is just one option. From what I read, Timothy hay is the only ingredient. There are several options.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:03 am

Thank-you Renonvsparky. I think Justice is chewing wood as she knows Jay is on the other side and for some reason these two pigs really hate each other! I will have a look at what Amazon.com.au has later. For now I think chewing the wood is boring her as it isn't too bad today.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:36 am

That's interesting how two guinea pigs can hate each other. I've seen that with my boars, but you'd think that sows would be more social towards each other. Is there a way to increase the space between them? If they are farther apart, that might help.