Gidget Medical Thread

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 10:04 pm

I’m glad they could see me so soon. They were very busy today, and then they had an emergency surgery to fit in as well.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:56 am

Gidget may have another ear infection. She’s moving like her balance is off. I still have ear medication so I put drops in her ears. When she went back in her pen, she would shake her head and roll on her side. She got up right away, but she must be dizzy.

I noticed she was sleeping a lot today, and she would sit or lay down while eating hay. I don’t think she was drinking as much water either. So tonight I mixed up some CC with extra water and snuck a few drops of vitamin C in the mix. I thought she was going to swallow the whole syringe, she loves the papaya flavor. I might have to use CC to get her more vitamin C, she doesn’t like the Oxbow wafers or the orange drops on veggies.

Hopefully she’ll be okay until the clinic opens on Monday. She’s eating well and I held the water bottle for her so she drank quite a bit. I’ll give her the rest of the CC tonight. Poor little thing, she sure has ear trouble.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:07 am

Aw, shoot, I'm sorry that little sweetie is having some issues again. Healing vibes coming your way. She is in the best possible hands with you. :)

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:14 am

Thanks. Hoping I’m doing the right thing until I can get a vet appointment. I don’t know what else would cause dizziness like this. These ear issues must not be resolving completely since I was just at the vet in May. She got the all clear and we even gave her drops once a day for 2 more weeks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:30 am

I wonder if there is some kind of irregularity in the Eustachian tubes that makes her prone to this. Perhaps an even longer course of treatment this time might help completely kick it out? Your treating for a couple more weeks - you were as thorough as you could be!

I feel badly for the little girl too.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:08 am

This morning she’s still loopy and she’s hungry. So she got ear drops, corn husk, and CC with a couple drops of vitamin C. She’s digging into the hay now.

I took out all but one hidey and I clipped fabric in the corners of the cage so she has places to hide. That way if she staggers she won’t get hurt running into things.

I agree, Lynx, there’s something going on with her ears. This is the third time so it’s a chronic problem. I even mentioned at the last vet visit that maybe I should treat her once a week after it had cleared up, but they didn’t think it was necessary.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:09 pm

If she's eating she ought to be ok until tomorrow morning. That was a good idea, making her cage "piggy-safe".

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:52 pm

She’s eating and drinking and getting around the cage okay, just a little unsteady. I’ll see how things look tomorrow and find out when they can see her. If she’s better, I may just treat with the drops and make an appointment later in the week so they can culture for bacteria. Either way it’s drops for 2 weeks, then once it’s clear, half a dose each day for 2 more weeks.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:28 pm

Fingers crossed that there is improvement and maybe this round will knock it out once and for all!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:10 pm

Ditto here! Times like this, I wish there was much more extensive knowledge of medical conditions in guinea pigs and that it was easier to accurately diagnose and treat them!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:09 pm

Gidget seems better but still a little off balance. She’s not moving around her pen as much and kind of braces her back legs out to keep her balance. The vet is booked all week so my only option is to drop her off tomorrow morning and they’ll fit her in sometime during the day. I hate to do that, but I think she needs to be seen. Poor little babe. I hope they can figure out what’s going on.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:36 pm

Hoping your vet can give you some answers!