Emelia's medical thread

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:05 pm

Daughter says Emelia (Fuzz) has gained 4 oz in the last week. Before this her weight has been stable.

She saw the vet on Sat. because she was making pain sounds when she poops. The did a side view xray of her back half. They said her bladder is small Aside from the fact that her labia are fat, they found nothing wrong and sent her home with painkiller & bactrim. No pain sounds for the last 2 days.

She was up 2 oz on Sat from the week before and now is up another 2 oz. Daughter is worried about fluid retention but vet (newbie) said she'd be able to feel it if it was there.

Any ideas on the rapid weight gain?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:07 pm

I'm old! Remind me about Emelia. How old is she? How much does she weigh? Is this a recently adopted guinea pig?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:11 pm

I think she's 18 mos. We adopted her in Feb. '21.She weighs 2.65lb (42.4 oz).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:39 pm

Okay. Then not a young one pregnancy.
Old. Old I tell you (me)!

Perhaps a motility drug? It might be solids slowing down and not moving through? Unsure how to check for fluid retention.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:04 pm

Her poops are smaller than normal. Daughter was thinking about a motility drug.

I'm old too.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:32 am

Kudos for your diagnosis. Took her to one of the more experienced vets yesterday and daughter expressed her concerns. The vet took another xray from a different angle and said the cecum was full, but there was not much past that. He prescribed cisapride for stasis & daughter is noticing differences in Fuzz's behavior this morning (acting more herself in a variety of ways).

The vets have weighed her 3 times over the last 7 days & gotten the same weight. Daughter saw a 2 oz gain over the same time period & another 2 oz the week before. I'm not sure what's going on with our scale.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:11 pm

Go find a small can or something that will always weigh the same that is perhaps a couple pounds or so and you can check the weight of the item before and after you weigh her.

"Kudos for your diagnosis."

At my age I just fling poop against the wall and see what sticks :-)
p.s. glad the motility drugs are working.