Tooth issue and more

RubySimon

Post   » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:26 am

Simon is my middle aged, neutered boy. I will do my best to make this make sense.

About 5 weeks ago I noticed one morning there was hardly any poop in his pen. Shortly thereafter I brought their veggies up and he ignored his. Started Critical Care later on, along with some extra water, called the vet and got him in for the next morning. She checked his teeth and said his molars may be bridging. They close at noon on Saturdays so she wanted me to bring him back on Monday so she could anesthetize him to work on his teeth and have him have enough time to recover there. Brought him in that Monday.

She worked on his teeth, put him on pain meds for several days and some Gas X. I obviously kept doing CC and water, along with mixing 1/4 chewable vitamin c tab in water and syringing that because he was not eating peppers. He perked up, started eating hay and veggies. That was for a few days, maybe 5, then he petered off the hay, and was hot/cold with the veggies. Called vet, brought him back in. She actually found he had an ear infection way down inside in one ear.

Did antibiotics, which he did not tolerate well. All the while doing CC. Finished the AB's. Still did not bounce back. Through all of this he is bright, alert, not in any obvious pain, he looks for me and begs for treats, he runs around his pen checking it out after I clean and rearrange it. Not acting sickly at all. Brought him back in last Friday and saw a different vet (this is an exotics practice). She put him under and took some more off his molars and did some more work with his incisors. I didn't add earlier, he had a minor issue with the incisors too, very long and kind of uneven.

Have had him on Meticam for a few day. He seems to be eating a tiny bit of hay now. I have not seen him eating it, but his poop is not as mushy and he what little there is, is near the area where his hay is. He is chowing down on his veggies. Still doing some CC, but I am trying to cut back to see if he will eat more. Will continue the vitamin c until I see him eating red pepper again.

I am looking for any tips or suggestions on getting him back to eating hay. I have bought 4 different kinds and have actually brought in some of my horses hay too. I put the hay in different spots, in different feeders, and just on the floor of the pen. I don't think it is his time to go yet. He is too happy and bright. Eyes look good, he is skinny though. My vet (the second one) thinks we should keep going. I want to because he is not giving me signs that he is too tired.
TIA for any help offered.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:37 pm

Some guinea pigs especially like hay that is soaked in water. It would help hydrate, too. You could try a handful of what you think might be his favorite kind, remove in an hour or two so it doesn't get moldy. Tender corn husks are often a treat too. Wheat grass (grow in a tray) is a real favorite.

How was the ear infection diagnosed? Was an xray taken?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:22 am

It can take a few days after antibiotics are done before the hay and pellets start to look good again. At least that was the experience I had with mine. I'm a believer in corn husks, they seem to whet the appetite and provide much needed fiber.

RubySimon

Post   » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:47 am

Thank you both.
Yes, an x ray was taken to diagnose his ear infection.
Are you talking fresh corn husks, or the dried ones that you can buy?
He has been off the antibiotics for awhile.
I spoke to my vet last evening about him not getting back to eating hay. We talked about the fact that maybe I was giving him Critical Care too much and he just wasn't hungry enough. I had wondered if that was the problem, so yesterday I cut back. He is off the pain meds now also, so I am hoping he eats some hay soon. It might have been making his stomach upset.
I don't think he ate much hay if any last night. I will try soaking some, but he is one of those pigs who is very suspicious of anything new. But, fingers crossed, maybe that might work.
Thanks again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:23 pm

I think the fresh ones are liked better. Are you weighing a couple times a day? Getting food moving through the system is very important, even if it is not hay.

Let us know if soaking the hay helps.

RubySimon

Post   » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:30 pm

He looked at the soaked hay like it was poison. I removed it, and will keep trying for a few days.
I don't weigh several times a day, but I do weigh every other day to see if he is maintaining his weight. I have been toying with the idea of giving him a dose of Metoclopramide to see if I can get stuff moving.
We went out today to a farm stand and got some fresh veggies (as opposed to supermarket veggies) and did get some corn on the cob. I will give him (and Luke our other piggy) a bit to try. Don't want to over do for the first time. husband will be thrilled if I make him keep buying corn daily! He loves it.
Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it. This is the first time in the 15 years I have had piggies that I have dealt with tooth issues. And, I will say it rots.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:49 pm

I encourage you to weigh more frequently. It can really make a difference when a guinea pig is ill

I hope he likes the tender corn husks!

RubySimon

Post   » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:46 am

AARRGH! He didn't eat even a bite of the husks. I cut some into manageable pieces, and left a large one also. Not even a bite. Ugh.
The upside is that I did give him a half dose of Metacam, per my vet. He had quite a bit more poop that looked much more normal in his pen this morning. So, I am guessing he did eat some hay overnight.
He is still happy, as active as he normally is, bright and interested in things. So, at least that is good.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:17 am

Your husband will be so disappointed (kidding)!

I forget what living situation he is in. If you gave a husk or two to a companion in adjacent living quarters, could he see them? Does he have a cagemate? Sometimes there are competitions over getting food. VERY happy the poops were more normal looking and numerous.

RubySimon

Post   » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:10 am

He has a "brother" in an adjoining pen. But lol, Luke didn't like the husks either. But my bunny did! Anyway, I have tried the competition thing. I have even stuffed hay through the holes in the pens so they would kind of be like Lady and The Tramp, both eating at each other. No go. Simon could not care less about what Luke is eating.
I am going to try the half dose of Meloxicam for a few days. I will check in with my vet tomorrow to see how long we can do that. He definitely eats better after it. He is due for another check and possible molar trim in two weeks. She is hopeful that we will see even more improvement after that. But I am not so confident, I pray she is right...........................
PS Lol I will keep buying corn for Rob, he is a good pig daddy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:22 pm

As you have observed, that he eats better after getting Meloxicam is a giveaway that he is indeed in some pain (common after tooth trimming). A guinea pig in pain is likely to eat less.

RubySimon

Post   » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:47 am

Yes, definitely. I have to address how long he can stay on the Metacam. He is at a half dose now. While he does better on the med, he is still not eating like he used to. I am going to ask today about an appetite enhancer. Don't know if that would help, but I had one for one of my cats once and it did help. Maybe they make one that works for Guinea Pigs. No idea.
I will take him back for one more tooth trim in a few weeks.. I get so nervous about the anesthesia though. It is also very expensive to do this every month. My vet wants to do it one more time and if he grows back quickly, we are done. I refuse to try the chin sling. These visits are rough on Simon. And I don't think I can keep supplemental feeding him forever. Just not feasible. This stinks.
I hoping that we can get this fixed with this next trim. Not very sure though...............