Best DC area ER?

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:27 am

I might need an ER for one of my pigs, but it's been so long I don't know which one to go to. Anyone with recent experience with an ER vet for their pigs in the DC metro area (but preferably MD)? Thanks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:45 pm

If Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue is still active, I bet they would have some great recommendations. They used to have all their guinea pigs spayed/neutered, I believe.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:49 pm

I tried one vet that didn't have a pig vet on staff (not sure if it was that night or in general) and I got put on hold with Pender and then couldn't get back through. He is doing OK but I'm worried so I called our usual vet this AM and got him squeezed in tomorrow. He's eating and active but has become slobbery and I think needs to be seen sooner rather than later.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:02 pm

Poor guy. I hope you have success finding a good vet.

http://www.mgpr.org/

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:04 pm

Hope everything works out for him! Most of the exotics vets in the DC area will send you to Pender for after-hours emergencies (though Pender does not guarantee an exotics focused vet will be on call) and to Stahl for during hours emergencies. Both are in Fairfax, VA.

I'm not aware of any emergency exotics vets in Maryland. My go-to dr recently moved to a small practice in Rockville, and their website recommends Pender and Stahl as well.