Would it be humane to stop feeding my guinea pig?

OinkDad

Post   » Sat May 29, 2021 4:29 pm

My dear boy is on his last few days and I believe it would be best for both of us if he left at home where he's comfortable rather than being terrified in an unfamiliar place with a stranger. He has GDV and given his condition I don't think it's worth it to operate as I believe that would only prolong his suffering and that he would likely die cold and alone on the operating table. I've been force feeding him critical care for a week now as he has lost a lot of weight and can barely move. It takes about an hour at a time to get 15-20 ccs into him. If I were to stop force feeding him to let him relax more in his final days, would that cause more pain, or would it avoid that stress and make him more likely to pass calmly at home?

If he doesn't let go by Monday or Tuesday, I'll get a vet to help him down. I think that's the best compromise between allowing him to leave where he feels most comfortable and not prolonging his suffering.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 29, 2021 4:39 pm

I am sorry your guinea pig is ill.

GVD?
https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/gastr ... n-volvulus
If he has bloat or gastric torsion, they can be very painful conditions and with any kind of blockage, hand feeding is not advised.

If he appears to be in pain, I would consider euthanasia sooner.

OinkDad

Post   » Sat May 29, 2021 6:18 pm

Thank you. I've stopped feeding him. If there's no end in sight by Monday I'll have to get him some assistance.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 12:13 pm

Repeating what Lynx wrote. I think you are right to not feed him, but if you cannot provide pain relief at home, get help ASAP.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 12:17 pm

DItto ditto ditto.

OinkDad

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 6:13 pm

I had given him painkillers and several other medications to reduce the pain as well as holding or petting him the entire day. He passed away in his sleep last night. He went out in the best way he could.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 11:54 pm

You have our condolences. It is always hard to lose a beloved pet.

Lisa12

Post   » Mon May 31, 2021 2:18 am

I am very sorry too..:(

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:08 am

My condolences on the loss of your guinea pig boy.

Traudl64

Post   » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:33 pm

I'm sorry

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:36 pm

I'm very sorry.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:38 pm

I'm so sorry.