Poppet's ongoing respiratory issues

Blooberry

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:49 pm

Did we set him off.. trying to sort out his bum? His heart started pounding and after a few minutes he passed. He'd just had his veggies! He'd gained weight and we thought he was making progress. So sad, poor little Poppet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:33 pm

Oh, I am so sorry to hear you lost him. I do not think cleaning off the poos would have made a difference but do not know the true cause (a necropsy done by a vet can sometimes give answers).

You have all our sympathy.

Blooberry

Post   » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:10 am

Thank you Lynx. He obviously went into cardiac arrest. I’m sorry we didn’t do a X-ray sooner. Like the site says any breathing issues should include investigations into potential heart problems. The poop was stuck in his bottom. The vet advised against an X-ray but we should have done 4 weeks ago. I’m just sorry he struggled all these weeks and that perhaps we could have done more for him and stopped the antibiotics sooner as they really impact he gut. He wasn’t that old and really was a lovely gentle sweet piggy.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:31 am

I'm so sorry you lost Poppet. It does sound like there were underlying heart issues. I'm sure you didn't do anything to cause a cardiac arrest. An x-ray may have shown an enlarged heart, but with heart issues the heart is not always enlarged. My condolences to you.

Blooberry

Post   » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:16 pm

Thank you Itsa Zoo. I tried so hard to get him better. I hated seeing him breathing like that and just when we thought he was picking up .. eating better and weight gain .. we have matacam and cleaned his bum and gave pro c and then he just slumped and his heart started racing .. minutes later he passed. I feel guilty that I cleaned his bum, weighed him and gave pro c .. stressing him out. Only earlier he had eaten his veggies so I do feel like what we did precipitated his demise. I know heart issues can be managed but vet was convinced respiratory but of course they go hand in hand. I think in future we will just use an exotics vet. It’s so hard losing a piggy so young and it’s so easy to blame yourself. I loved our little poppet and spent the last month trying so hard to get him better. It was unexpected and a shock. 😢

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:34 pm

Take care of yourself. Losing a pet can be so hard. I can tell how special he was to you.

Blooberry

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:19 am

Thanks Lynx, he was. We are sorry for his cage mate too. I wish vets had more expertise with piggies. Our nearest exotics is a distance away.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:23 pm

This page might give you some ideas for his cagemate:
https://www.guinealynx.info/alone.html