Pumpkin Spice's Medical Thread

amberkenn2016

Post   » Wed May 19, 2021 12:43 pm

Hello, I'll start this off by saying that Pumpkin is a roughly 2.5 year old male, and we got him last summer. Up until a month or two ago, he was perfectly healthy and had no issues from what I could see. However, he started squeaking while going to the bathroom, hunches up, losing a little weight, and is not 100% his normal self. We took him in the first time at our local vet and they said he had a UTI. Fast forward two weeks later, as soon as he gets off the AB, he's back at square one.

The next vet visit was at a different vet, which is one of the ones recommended on this website. They took an Xray, we gave them a urine sample, and both tests came back negative for stones, sludge, or a UTI. Just to be safe, the vet gave us a different AB (Bactrim), and he was doing good on that as well. Again, as soon as we take him off of it, he goes back to square one. I got his urine tested a day or two after the AB course ended, and nothing was worth noting.

So I took to the internet and researched, and came across Cystease by Feliway. He's on half a tablet a day, along with metacam (which the metro vet said was for a potential case of arthritis).

However, now Pumpkin is slowly losing weight and just isn't acting like his normal self. I don't know what else to do other than maybe get a 2nd opinion, and I don't know what they'll suggest next. I would appreciate any and all advice you guys have for me.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 19, 2021 10:05 pm

How long ago was the xray taken? In even a couple weeks things can change. An xray is definitely what we would have recommended. I am surprised no stones or sludge showed up. Because things can change, I would not completely rule out stones. I think the Cystease would help if your guinea pig had interstitial cystitis.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu May 20, 2021 1:57 am

Yes, the x-ray was taken a few weeks back. I can't say exactly how long, but it's been at least that long. I was also surprised to find no stones or sludge, as that was what I was thinking. I want to get another x-ray, however the soonest appointment I could get was Monday afternoon, and this is a different vet that was reccomended on this site for my state. Would giving Shilintong a shot be a good idea? Both myself and Pumpkin I imagine are in a good deal of stress trying to figure this out. I figured I'd give the cystease a try because if there was no UTI, stones, or sludge, my mind went straight for IC. I'm hoping I can keep him in relative comfort until Monday.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu May 20, 2021 9:54 am

Shilintong might help with sludge or small stones. If you try it, make sure he gets some increased exercise, which will also help.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu May 20, 2021 12:14 pm

We used Cystease for a long time with a pig with recurrent UTI's and pain while peeing even when she didn't have a UTI. Daughter thinks it helped somewhat. She started an 1/2 pill, then upped it to 1 pill/day.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Tue May 25, 2021 9:25 am

I meant to update yesterday, but our appointment was late in the afternoon and quite the drive.

The vet found that there were signs of osteoarthritis in his knees, and the previous vet's xray wasn't all that clear, so we had another xray done. No stones or sludge, but the arthritis in the knees was there for sure. I don't have a copy of the xray otherwise I'd post it here. So, at least we have a better idea of what's going on now!

I have had guinea pigs in the past with arthritis, but they had it so close to when they passed away that I never learned how to manage it long term. Is the cystease/glucosamine supplement still a good idea to give him? Also, the vet prescribed Gabapentin to go along with the Metacam. Does anyone here have experience with Gabapentin and how their pig handled it? From my understanding, it helps to soothe nerve pain.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 25, 2021 4:22 pm

I recall some people using Gabapentin. If you did a search, I'm sure their posts would show up.

There is an arthritis sticky that might give you some ideas.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34228

Traudl64

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 1:44 pm

My Pet with Arthritis was given Meloxicam every day. She still had 2 good years before she passed away of cardiac Cauce.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:33 pm

Hello all, it's been a while! Unfortunately though I don't have a good update. On Thursday afternoon, Pumpkin was hunched up and not wanting to eat much, even his favorite treats. So I ran him to the ER vet, and an xray was done to see what was up. According to the vet, Pumpkin had alot of gas built up in his stomach, which is something that I don't have a huge amount of experience with curing, and I've been home and scouring the internet for a couple of days researching.

The vet prescribed him metaclopromide, plus to continue his normal painkillers for his arthritis, which is a combination of metacam and gabapentin. We've been having small victories here and there, but ultimately Idk how long I should expect him to recover for? He's still very alert, he still eats but not as much as he used to, and he's not as active as he usually is. I've tried encouraging him to move around to help his stomach but he goes right back into his house. I just want to help him get better as soon as possible, I hate to see him like this.

I've also been syringe feeding him critical care, water, and unflavored pedialyte. Poor little guy is definitely annoyed with me, but I'm fine with that as long as he improves.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:58 pm

You're doing all the right things. Keep going.

Small prey animals (like guinea pigs) especially can suffer a kind of cascade effect when they're not 100%. If his joints ache, he feels less like moving and eating. They are designed to eat steadily, and if they don't can get gassy; they want to eat and move less, etc., etc.

It can take a while to normalize after a bout of gassiness, so keep doing the things you're doing and don't lose patience or faith. Sometimes once they've had a gassy bout they're more prone to have more.
We've had more than one pig that as they aged benefited from a small, regular daily dose of metoclopramide just to keep them 'running well'.

The very best to him and to you. Keep us posted.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:42 pm

Okay, thank you! I appreciate your kind words. He's now finally lying down and sleeping, which is definitely an improvement. I will keep you posted so long as I can remind myself to!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:26 pm

When my previous pig had a gassy bubble, the vet recommended baby drops, which is simethicone. I gave the drops along with massaging her tummy. A few people here have tried gas drops and had problems, but they worked well for my pig. The gas bubble got considerably smaller and when she felt better, she ate better.

I hope Pumpkin starts feeling better.