Bladder Stone diets

cavy_slave

Post   » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:59 pm

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the best place for this question but it relates to bladder stones so I figured medical was the most appropriate. I am on my third stone piggie, and he is currently at the vet now awaiting surgery. I went to put him down because he was originally scheduled for May 3 but I felt he wasn't eating enough (no hay or pellets really, just salad and me force feeding sherwood recovery) and was in too much pain. Well, he actually gained weight (so they say) and he was fighting the vet for his temp so she felt he was a fighter enough and deserved the chance at surgery. She said one of the other vets there (all exotics, all trustworthy and pig-savvy) could do it today instead.

My first pig that got stones couldn't get surgery due to the anesthesia reaction so we had to put her down, and my second pig (the current one's cage mate) had his move into his urethra less than 24-hrs after dx and went into stasis. I've been trying to keep my pigs on low calcium diets and the sherwood supps to break-up and prevent stones but to no avail. Reading through the website again after a couple of years I realize perhaps I misunderstood some of the info. The whole Ca:P ratio thing still confuses me because the optimal ratio foods have a decent amount of calcium. I've basically been giving butter lettuce and green leaf for years and limited tomatoes, peppers, carrots, and fruits (rarely).

So, can anyone recommend what an ideal diet would be to minimize stone reformation for my boy? I always limited spinach but it looks like it's got a better ratio so I'm confused...
I am going to have them send off the stone if he makes it through the sx to see if he has a weird kind or something which may help us build him a better diet.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:29 pm

Some guinea pigs are more prone to stones than others. However, diet is important.

Some things that members here have mentioned:
- Give filtered water to reduce some of the mineral.
- Check that pellets and purchased treats are low in calcium, and do not contain calcium carbonate. Recommended pellets are Oxbow and KMS.
- Avoid spinach and dark leafy greens, cilantro, dandelion greens, and parsley. They are higher in calcium.
- Avoid Romaine lettuce, even though it's not high in calcium. Some guinea pigs have stone issues when fed romaine.
- Encourage drinking more water to flush the system. High-moisture veggies like cucumbers may help, and feeding lettuce leaves that are wet.

You've probably already checked these links, but there is good info on stones and a veggie and fruit nutritional list.

https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html#chart

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:11 am

I am a strong believer in keeping to a low calcium diet in that regard for every pig, just not the ones with stone issues. Here is my record:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=193