Penicillin G Injections

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:42 pm

How long have you been using the Baytril? My guinea pig had trouble with that and stopped eating after about 3 days. It's usually effective but can be hard on the digestive tract. Definitely get probiotics and give them about an hour after the Baytril.

This is a tough situation, and I think it comes down to which vet you feel more confident with. I hope you start seeing some improvement with Smokey.

Rome_Italy

Post   » Mon May 10, 2021 1:13 pm

Penicillin G is SAFE and very good if given as injections for serious diffuse infections. Also my guinea pig has been prescribed with this medicine from one of the best and famous cavy savvy vets in Italy. My piggie has a bad issue, but just after the first shot he looked better than before. I also had great doubts, (as much as giving him Metacam in high doses) but the vet said that it can kill the piggie only if given orally. The problem in my case is only that my piggie is stubborn and refuses to open his mouth for eating CC... it is a fight all day long...
My piggie was also put under Baytril and had the best hunger and poo ever... Reactions are different, I see...
Have trust in your vet because he is probably updated.

Lisa12

Post   » Mon May 10, 2021 3:08 pm

This is very interesting to me,cause none of the vets we used over the years would ever do that...

And i am against using guinea pigs for experiements and everything-i think all should live like kings and queens:).
However-i found this..if anybody would like to read it..https://pdf.sciencedirectassets.com/271 ... ype=client

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 10, 2021 7:14 pm

It is a very old article. I do agree with you, Lisa12, I think you would not recommend Penicillin G.

I would NEVER say it was SAFE!

When there are other safer medications, there is no reason to choose one that can cause serious problems. I do agree the injections are a safer method but still would not advise it.